Question GPU crashes on Fortnite

contagioussheep17

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Hi all,

I have recently got a used Zotac GTX 1080ti, it runs all benchmarks and games I have thrown at it so far, except Fortnite. That game will usually not even make it into a game without crashing, for some reason. I've tried verifying the install, reinstalling the game to no avail. Note: the game will run underclocked but stutters and hangs a lot. Any ideas?

CPU: i5-8400 Power supply: Corsair RM650 (brand new a week ago)

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How far are you underclocking? My guess is that the factory OC Zotac applied on top of Gpu Boost's OC is no longer stable.

Also, that game is cpu bound - typical of multiplayer always online games. That cpu either has at least one core pegged at high utility, or the non-hyperthreaded, 6 core cpu doesn't have enough resources to keep up.

contagioussheep17

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
How far are you underclocking? My guess is that the factory OC Zotac applied on top of Gpu Boost's OC is no longer stable.

Also, that game is cpu bound - typical of multiplayer always online games. That cpu either has at least one core pegged at high utility, or the non-hyperthreaded, 6 core cpu doesn't have enough resources to keep up.

-200mhz on core and memory

contagioussheep17

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018

I have a 9th gen i7 arriving soon, is there any chance it would be more stable with that or can the card just not handle the clocks it used to be able to

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
-200mhz on core and memory
Shouldn't need to touch memory, unless you've observed it crashing at its default clock? Gpu Boost doesn't mess with it, and neither do the AIBs when they apply their factory OCs - only the core clock is boosted.
An exception to this is a card that was mined on, since that stresses the gpu's memory controller and not the core.
Please check with only the memory clock left alone, if you haven't already done so.

I have a 9th gen i7 arriving soon, is there any chance it would be more stable
It should be.

can the card just not handle the clocks it used to be able to
More testing required, like leaving memory clock alone and just underclocking the core by 200, 150, 100, 50...