GPU crashes when opening a game after upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Tribbs

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015
Hey, just upgraded my GPU to a GTX 970 from a GTX 770, Which was working fine I just wanted some better performance. Whenever I try to boot any game it freezes like this, sometimes it comes back and sometimes it doesn't. It also happens randomly when on the web. I used DDU to uninstall my drivers, then used GeForce Experience to reinstall them. I bought the card second hand so I'm hoping I'm not screwed. The card is installed with two - 3 pin PCI pins. Could anyone help? Thanks!

Solution
If you've eliminated all software possibilities, I have to think the card being second hand may have something to do with it.

Where did you source it from? A lot of miners like to sell cards they've literally ran 24/7 for months on end, and claim they've only been used for light gaming. You have to really be careful what sources you buy used from, especially GPUs, largely due to miners.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You uninstalled old drivers and installed the newest, and even tried with the old card again.
The card is probably defective, return it if possible.

You could also try reinstalling windows, as there may be a driver conflict elsewhere. It's usually recommended when changing motherboards.

If you've eliminated all software possibilities, I have to think the card being second hand may have something to do with it.

Where did you source it from? A lot of miners like to sell cards they've literally ran 24/7 for months on end, and claim they've only been used for light gaming. You have to really be careful what sources you buy used from, especially GPUs, largely due to miners.

Reactions: _Tribbs
Solution

_Tribbs

Reputable
Nov 6, 2015

VERY late reply, thanks though, I messaged the guy and asked him what the issue was, and he said he has another 970 that he gave me, it worked fine... But I am assuming that card was used for mining. I recently upgraded to a 1070 though, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.