[SOLVED] GPU crashes when rendering any game - no idea what is wrong (long story)

TiernO

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Ok so hi everyone, I'll try break this down as best I can.

Around a month ago, I noticed faults with my card, literally any game would crash almost instantly after starting to play, including Minecraft (which doesn't take a lot of GPU power). I also noticed during day to day use, some pixels on the screen would become discoulored, the screen would flicker etc.

I did the following trouble shooting:
  1. Try different monitor
  2. Use DDU to uninstall drivers and reinstall
  3. Reinstall new drivers NVidia and WIndows
  4. Reset Bios
  5. Tried different cables
  6. Tried different ports on the card
I had enough and got the card RMA'd, a few days ago I got it back. Sure enough, the error persists. But now, there is no screen flickering at all and every game crashes after a few minutes and not instantly. If I try run 3D Mark, it crashes after around 2 minutes.

My next suspicion is my PSU, its around 7 years old and maybe when the GPU needs x amount of power, the PSU is incapable of providing it. But while my card was getting RMA'd, I never had issues using the on board graphics. So I am baffled to be honest. I'm not sure if the card is fixed and the issue is something else, or it is in fact the card still.

Here is my system info:

Case: GameMax Abyss (with just one rear exhaust fan)
CPU: Intel i7 8700 (with stock intel cooler)
Memory: Corsair Vengence 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
PSU: Akasa Venom 750W Semi Modular
Storage: 1 x 512GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD, 1 x Seagate 2TB HDD
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 OC
MB: Gigabyte Z370P D3

Try reducing GPU overclock.
Your card is factory overclocked. They do not get always tested enough in OC conditions.

i7 8700 requires a much better cooler than Intel stock cooler. It most certainly is overheating.
Your pc case requires frontal intake fans. Install 3x120mm fans in front.

Test cpu and gpu temperatures in MSI afterburner.

TiernO

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015
Try reducing GPU overclock.
Your card is factory overclocked. They do not get always tested enough in OC conditions.

i7 8700 requires a much better cooler than Intel stock cooler. It most certainly is overheating.
Your pc case requires frontal intake fans. Install 3x120mm fans in front.

Test cpu and gpu temperatures in MSI afterburner.

How do i reduce the overclock?

TiernO

Honorable
Dec 30, 2015

Also your system most likely is overheating. You don't have enough fans installed in your pc case.

Did you check temperatures (as suggested before) ?

I honestly don't know how to check temperatures I won't lie. I'm not as knowledgeable as most on here but I know enough to get by. If I could match the clock speed on this card to a normal RTX 2060 should I see no crashing?