[SOLVED] GPU Crashing on certain pc

Aug 24, 2021
Hi. My brother has one pc each. Here's the specs first.

Mine:
Windows 10 PRO Version 21H1 OS build 19043, 1165
GPU: Sapphire RX 580
Motherboard: Aorus B450M
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
PSU: Corsair CX550M
RAM: 16gb Corsair DDR4 3200MHZ dual stick
Storage: 240gb ADATA NVME

Brothers:
Windows 10 PRO Version 21H1 OS Build 19043, 1110
GPU: HIS RX 560
Motherboard: Asus Prime A320m-k
CPU: Ryzen 3 3100
PSU: Deepcool 500W
Ram: Hyperx 8gb 2666mhz Single
Storage: 256gb Gigabyte NVME

My brother's motherboard, cpu and ram were bought recently. then after that when he is using his GPU RX 560. There are random black screens. the fan on the case would be still on but the keyboard light would turn off. It always happens just after 5 mins of any activity. But when he uses my GPU RX 580 everything works fine. Then I tested his RX 560 on my pc and everything works fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Tried so far on my brother's PC:
  • Reinstall OS
  • DDU GPU drivers and reinstall.
  • Windows update is latest
  • BIOS Update to Latest Version 5606 - 2021/08/04
  • RAM is set to auto 2666mhz,
  • did not change anything on the BIOS
  • reseat everything
Thank you!

UPDATE:
  • I tried swapping just our motherboard and it's still the same its crashing on single monitor setup
  • its seems that it only happens when I'm using one monitor setup . if I use dual monitor setup on the RX 560 it doesn't crash. I tried different single monitor but it keeps crashing but if I use dual monitor it wont.

Last edited:
Solution
Voltage is the wrong term, he means power. And that isn't something you can change. Either the board supports the standard 75W, or some other power limit.

Though I see no reason for a retail board to go below spec on the PCIe slot, but it was known that certain RX cards pulled too much power from the slot when first launched, but it was the larger SKUs as I recall. That could be the case here though. Too much load from the motherboard and it might pop.

May just be a matter of limiting the power through something like MSI Afterburner, or updating the vBIOS on the card if there is one that lowers power draw (at the cost of some performance)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Just have to ask, did you also update the motherboard drivers?

Maybe force the PCIe 3.0 version in the BIOS, shouldn't be that according to the various BIOS notes, but worth checking.

You've ruled out most other things by being able to swap the cards around.

Update the vBIOS on the card?

Other than that, have to wait for someone else to respond who is more familiar with AMD.

Since the 560 works in your PC my guess is the motherboard in your brothers PC is not providing sufficient voltage or current for the 560 to run stable.

Your 580 works on his board because your plugging into the PSU directly and not relying solely on the slot for power.

Aug 24, 2021
Just have to ask, did you also update the motherboard drivers?

Maybe force the PCIe 3.0 version in the BIOS, shouldn't be that according to the various BIOS notes, but worth checking.

You've ruled out most other things by being able to swap the cards around.

Update the vBIOS on the card?

Other than that, have to wait for someone else to respond who is more familiar with AMD.
I can't find the option of GEN 3 on PCIE on the BIOS of my brother's PC. But its there on my motherboard's BIOS.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021
Since the 560 works in your PC my guess is the motherboard in your brothers PC is not providing sufficient voltage or current for the 560 to run stable.

Your 580 works on his board because your plugging into the PSU directly and not relying solely on the slot for power.
How to check if the voltage is insufficient and how to adjust it?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Voltage is the wrong term, he means power. And that isn't something you can change. Either the board supports the standard 75W, or some other power limit.

Though I see no reason for a retail board to go below spec on the PCIe slot, but it was known that certain RX cards pulled too much power from the slot when first launched, but it was the larger SKUs as I recall. That could be the case here though. Too much load from the motherboard and it might pop.

May just be a matter of limiting the power through something like MSI Afterburner, or updating the vBIOS on the card if there is one that lowers power draw (at the cost of some performance)

Solution
Aug 24, 2021

Hi i tried changing the power limit already in msi afterburner and still the same. as for the vBIOS i only seen two unverified version and im not really familiar with it

Aug 24, 2021
I don't know that you can...you will have to explore the BIOS options and see if there are any PCI-E voltage settings. If it was my system I would RMA the board or even better would be to return it and buy a B450 or B550 board if possible.
IDK if i can RMA the board with the issue i got since it works with other GPUs.

Have you tried swapping RAM between your PC and your bother? Its a long shot but perhaps the R3 3100 does'nt play well with DDR4 2666.

-> Another thing to try without changing RAM is see if you can set the HyperX stick to 2133 or maybe 2400MHz

Aug 24, 2021
Have you tried swapping RAM between your PC and your bother? Its a long shot but perhaps the R3 3100 does'nt play well with DDR4 2666.

-> Another thing to try without changing RAM is see if you can set the HyperX stick to 2133 or maybe 2400MHz
Havent tried it but i need the 16GB ram since i multitask a lot. I'll try the 2133 MHZ

Aug 24, 2021
You can also try reaching out to ASUS, they may know of certain incompatibilities, or be curious about yours and get log data etc to fix it.

Though I agree, replacing the board for a B450 would make more sense regardless.

Hi its seems that it only happens when I'm using one monitor setup . if I use dual monitor setup on the RX 560 it doesn't crash. i tried different single monitor but it keeps crashing but if I use dual monitor it wont.

And I tried swapping just our motherboard and it's still the same its crashing on single monitor setup so i think its not the motherboard not supplying enough power on the pcie slot