Question GPU Crashing out of nowhere

Jul 26, 2020
EDIT:

I downclocked my Memory by 500mhz, and it runs at 7,200hz max load, and the crashing has seemed to stop. What does this mean?

I built this computer about 2 months ago, and everything has been going great since. But out of no where, the GPU crashed one day while playing a game, and it displayed this white checkerboard pattern all of the screen, and then the game crashed. My computer didn't crash, only the game. Now ever since that happened, my GPU crashes frequently in the same exact way, with the same exact white checkerboard pattern anytime I do anything GPU intensive. But it is not RIGHT when I start the game, it's actually about 15-30 minutes after I start playing. And to make it even more odd, that's not always the case, sometimes I play for hours on end without any crashes, other times I can't play anything.

For the record, my GPU runs no where above 60C at 100% load, and every part in my computer is brand new.

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

Oh and here are my main specs:
CPU: i9 9900k
GPU: MSI RTX 2080 Super
RAM: 32gb Ripjaw DDR4
PSU: High Power HP1-J800GD-F12S 800W 80+ Gold
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Make and model of the PSU? 80+ Gold and a wattage on it doesn't mean it's qualified to be a reliably built PSU. Which version of Nvidia's drivers are you on? Might want to take DDU and uninstall your GPU drivers then reinstall them with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site.

Version of Windows 10? Make and model of your motherboard? Keep an eye on CPU temps using HWMonitor.

Jul 26, 2020
Make and model of the PSU? 80+ Gold and a wattage on it doesn't mean it's qualified to be a reliably built PSU. Which version of Nvidia's drivers are you on? Might want to take DDU and uninstall your GPU drivers then reinstall them with the latest sourced from Nvidia's support site.

Version of Windows 10? Make and model of your motherboard? Keep an eye on CPU temps using HWMonitor.

I am currently on the latest game ready driver from NVIDIA Experience, which is 451.67, and I'm not sure of the exact model of the PSU. I have had the drivers since long before my GPU started crashing, about 2 weeks I'd say.

Jul 26, 2020

I am also currently on the latest version of windows 10, my motherboard is a ASUS ROG Z390 MAXIMUS XI HERO, my CPU is liquid cooled and never reaches above 60C.

Jul 26, 2020

After using DDU to reinstall my drivers, something interesting happened. I played once again for about 30 minutes, but this time the checkerboard pattern was green, and my entire computer restarted. This could definitely be a power supply problem.