GPU Crashing While Gaming

Broseidon924

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016
Here are my specs:

- NZXT Source 210 S210-001 Black “Aluminum Brush / Plastic” ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- ASRock H97M Pro4 LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
- PowerColor TurboDuo Radeon R9 290 DirectX 11.2 AXR9 290 4GBD5-TDHE/OC 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
- EVGA SuperNOVA 850 G2 220-G2-0850-XR 80+ GOLD 850W
- 2x 4GB GDDR5 ram

So here's the problem, my gpu seems to crash only during specific games. Sometimes I'll be able to tab out in time and see the "AMD Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" message, but most of the time my screen just goes black, sometimes I'll still hear game music and others I'll get the "errrrrrrr" sound. Either way I have to restart.

Games it has crashed on:

- Tera, especially during the character creation (Lower settings made no difference)
- Fallout 4, only during character creation
- Witcher 3, sporadically
- Skyrim, sporadically
- Dragon Nest, regularly
- Smite
- Dragon Age: Inquisition

Games I've had no problems with:

- League of Legends
- Black Desert Online
- Blade and Soul
- Most steam games besides the ones I've listed that crash

So as you can see, for most games I have no problems, it is just specific games. I originally had a weaker PSU so I bought a more powerful one, but that has not helped, and according to online PSU calculators I should be more than fine. Then I thought it was an overheating issue due to intense graphics since it liked to crash during character creation screens, but it crashes on games like Dragon Nest where the resolution is pretty low. Also, I've monitored the temperatures, and they seem to stay in the safe zone.

Here are a list of the things I've tried:

- Monitoring GPU temps
- Switching to a more powerful PSU
- Switching slots the GPU is in
- Yes, my gpu drivers are up to date
- Yes, my Direct X version is up to date
- Yes, I'm pretty sure my Bios is working properly/drivers are up to date
- Closed all other programs except game
- Increased GPU processing time
- Reinstalling OS (Windows 8.1)
- Underclocking my gpu has seemed to sometimes help with some games but it is not a guaranteed fix

I've been dealing with this problem on and off and for a couple years (since windows 8.1 was the original OS). I've tried almost everything I can think of/seen from searching the internet.

Things I have not tried:

- Putting gpu in another computer to see if the same problems occur
- Reinstalling OS (Windows 10)

I'm open to any advice or suggestions. I'm very much at a loss of what to do here. It would be greatly appreciated.

Oaklandmurphy

Respectable
Jun 1, 2016
I don't know if you've tried this yet but you may want to just try doing a driver reinstall. You should use tool like DDU to make sure that the drivers are completely uninstalled (just normally uninstalling them can leave remnants that cause conflicts) then just reinstall them from the AMD website.

Idk if it will help at all but its the only thing I can think of.

Broseidon924

Commendable
Oct 3, 2016

Thanks for the response, but yes, I've already done that; more times than I can count.