GPU Crashing

exploder2013

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013
Hello, I have a problem that I need to take care of.

First my specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz

GPU: ATi Radeon HD 5450 1Gb (Was overclocked, but now on default clocks)

PSU: If I'm not wrong 300W (don't know which model)

RAM 2GB

If anything else is necessary, please ask.

The problem is, when I'm watching Youtube, after certain period of time happens things like this(picture):

http://postimage.org/image/dwb1jx62j/

Btw, this problem wasn't happening after about 5 months of use.

And it lasts about 10 to 20 secs, after that Windows shows error message that video driver stoped working and sucessfully recovered and all my open Youtube tabs become black and non-useable (restarting chrome works).

This dosen't happen in games or anywhere else, and I have tested my GPU in FunMark this day, and temps are fine (Max 52c°) and no problems & artifacts for full 10 mins.

Last day I cleaned all dust inside my case, so that can't be dust problem, btw I have just formated & reinstalled my Windows 7 and installed GPU drivers from ATI website and this also happened in my old Windows 7.

If you need any more information, just ask.

Thank you.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
300 watt PSU is way too low for these components, you'd need at least 400 watts PSU as per recommended by AMD
■400 Watt or greater power supply recommended
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/graphics/ati-radeon-hd-5000/hd-5450-overview/Pages/hd-5450-overview.aspx#3

Refer my avatar, that was caused by a faulty video card that was used in a rig using only a 430 watt PSU (not mine, somebody else).

Basically, your video card ram has become corrupted, you need a new video card. Usually the video memory becomes corrupted when peak power of the PSU is less than the total power requirements of the all hardware combined.

Although the vidoe card may work when it is "cold" , the upper memory of the video ram is the part that has become corrupted.

exploder2013

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

Well, I guess I just have to live with these annoying artifacts then...

One question: Why these crashes don't appear when I'm gaming or using FunMark, but only in flash related applications?

Thank you.

TenPc

Honorable
Jul 11, 2012
Depends on the games you play.

FurMark -
"This benchmark requires an OpenGL 2.0 compliant graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce 5/6/7/8 (and higher), AMD/ATI Radeon 9600 (and higher) or a S3 Graphics Chrome 400 series with the latest graphics drivers.
Read more at http://www.majorgeeks.com/FurMark_d4183.html#flcTSwsoYlJTdpxb.99 "

Radeon HD 5450 uses OpenGL 3.2 or 4.0 so perhaps the FurMark testing doesn't account for this factor or it doesn't actually do the correct memory addressing. Not real sure.

Whatever the results, the video card upper memory is corrupted and you can't fix it.

Sometimes the fault of the video card is caused by an inefficient PSU, or lack of proper ventilation and air circulation giving high humidity towards the video card and virtually suffocating it.

exploder2013

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

That's sad :( .

OK, thank you for helping.

exploder2013

Honorable
Feb 10, 2013

I guess that's just my GPU, because I've had diffirent drivers, same problem persists.

It started on itself after about 4/5 months of use.