Question GPU damaged or something else ?

Sep 18, 2022
Hello guys, not sure if this is the right thread for this question but anyway:

I was playing a game (sea of thieves) in my pc that i built 2 years ago and suddendly the game and even the operating system froze. Could not alt-tab or cntrl-alt-del. I had to force shutdown on the power button. Then when I power on, there is no signal in the monitor and after like 15 seconds the pc shutsdown and keeps trying to boot and shutting down by itself.

Is this a symptom of a gpu problem? I don't think its the PSU because I never have a single image on the monitor. Could it be the motherboard or the CPU?

I dont have any spare component to switch and test which one is causing the problem.

These are my specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Asrock B450M Pro4
G Skill Aegis 16GB DDR-4 3000MHz
Nvidia Geforce RTX 3060 Ti
Seasonic Core GC 500W 80Plus Gold

I apreciate any help I can get.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Seasonic Core is a good PSU. While not as good as Seasonic Focus series, but it's still solid. So, i don't think it's PSU issue.

As of what might be toast: CPU, MoBo, RAM or GPU.

If you do not have 2nd, compatible PC, where to test out individual components, haul your PC to PC repair shop and ask them to diagnose the issue.

That does not look like GPU problem. Easy way to test - remove GPU, then if system power cycles as it did before you know 100% it is not faulty GPU. Does not also look like like failed PSU to me.
More likely it is memory or motherboard failure. Could even be CPU although that is rare.

Sep 18, 2022
That does not look like GPU problem. Easy way to test - remove GPU, then if system power cycles as it did before you know 100% it is not faulty GPU. Does not also look like like failed PSU to me.
More likely it is memory or motherboard failure. Could even be CPU although that is rare.

Thanks, i will try that, so if i try to boot without the gpu, it should not boot or at least get to BIOS, if its a gpu problem.

I have 2 sticks of 8gb ram, could one be the faulty and causing the problem.

Its looking more like a cpu or mobo problem

Thanks, i will try that, so if i try to boot without the gpu, it should not boot or at least get to BIOS, if its a gpu problem.
Well, you will have no display without GPU so it may be hard to tell if it did boot to BIOS*. But at least you will see if it still power cycles or not.

* There is a trick to find out. For most BIOSes F10 works as a shortcut for Save and exit. So once the system looks like it booted you press F10 then Enter - if the system reboots at that point it means it was in fact in BIOS.

Sep 18, 2022
Well, you will have no display without GPU so it may be hard to tell if it did boot to BIOS*. But at least you will see if it still power cycles or not.

* There is a trick to find out. For most BIOSes F10 works as a shortcut for Save and exit. So once the system looks like it booted you press F10 then Enter - if the system reboots at that point it means it was in fact in BIOS.
Thanks a good trick, ill try that

Sep 18, 2022
Thanks for the help guys, i figured it out. It was one of my RAM sticks, when i plug it out, my system stopped boot looping.

Then I tried put it back on, so I could be sure it was the one causing the issue, and the pc booted to a blue recovery screen because it shutdown incorrectly, but I got to Windows login. When i brought the pc back to my room, it was boot looping again, so i had to remove it for good.

Funny thing is in the task manager it still says I have 16GB of RAM...

Thanks a lot for the help. Hope this helps someone too.