Question GPU Dead?

PoostaJ

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
Hey guys,

So I moved into college a couple weeks ago. Brought my desktop PC with me. One day I touched the top of my computer while it was running and noticed that the floor it was on was a little uneven (it could rock back and forth onto one of my case's legs). I rocked it a few times just to test it out while the PC was still on. I left to go out of the room (didn't notice anything yet) but when I reentered my screen was off. Looked inside and my EVGA 1070 was off, both lights and fans. I resat it, no luck. Sat it in the other PCIe slot on my mobo, no luck. I have no idea if me shaking the case would do anything, but I fell like it shouldn't, it wasn't very aggressive or anything. Just wondering if anyone has any tips, really don't want to buy a new card right now it is probably the worst time. Some solutions I have tried: resitting, sitting it in the other PCIe slot, getting a new PCIe power cord (just in case). Could it be dust build up? Something else? If anyone has any insight please let me know.

Thanks!

Zer0123

Reputable
Aug 8, 2017
I don't think dust build up (unless it's build up in the slot itself) could keep a GPU from turning on, it'd mostly only mess with the cooling.

As a general rule, one shouldn't mess with a running PC and its parts, especially GPU.

What I assume could've happened is the card shaking/wiggling in the slot might have somehow slightly messed with the way it was seated and disconnected it from the slot, causing a short. (I've never actually seen a GPU being damaged this way before tho).

Something I wanted to ask is are the other parts okay? Does the PC turn on fine with the integrated GPU (if your pc has one).

PoostaJ

Reputable
Aug 22, 2016
I don't think dust build up (unless it's build up in the slot itself) could keep a GPU from turning on, it'd mostly only mess with the cooling.

As a general rule, one shouldn't mess with a running PC and its parts, especially GPU.

What I assume could've happened is the card shaking/wiggling in the slot might have somehow slightly messed with the way it was seated and disconnected it from the slot, causing a short. (I've never actually seen a GPU being damaged this way before tho).

Something I wanted to ask is are the other parts okay? Does the PC turn on fine with the integrated GPU (if your pc has one).
Yes it does. Everything else runs 100% fine. I do have integrated graphics so I can still get a video signal from the cpu