GPU Dedicated PhysX and CUDA

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012
Ok I plan on using a 680 for general gfx and CUDA. and another, much cheaper card for PhsX and possibly CUDA. Does this hav anything to do with SLI? Also, what are some recommendations for a card dedicated for PhysX?

EDIT:
Can someone please give an accurate comparison of Havok and PhysX?

coolitic

Distinguished
May 10, 2012

Ever heard of a game called Planetside 2? I plan to max it out with maybe some AA, which is one of the reasons why I want dedicated PhysX.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

The 680 is the fastest, consistently performing, single GPU card in the world right now. You underestimate its power. Other people are maxing the game out on lower-end cards. Unless you're playing at a ridiculously high resolution across multiple monitors?

I have a single GTX 680... I play on 6040x1200 resolution... I can play planetside 2 MAX settings and keep 40+ FPS at that resolution... You will be fine w/o a dedicated physics card on a 1080p monitor ( I assume that is what you are using)

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

I am a Nvidia fan, but this sure is going to bring out the AMD fanboys..

You sure about that?

Hahhahahahaha :lol:

You don't need to be an AMD fanboy to argue with that statement. He is clearly a Nvidia fanboy.

I am neither. But the GTX680 is not faster than an HD7970 GE.

ANYWAY... Before we start a flame war AGAIN.

The GTX680 is VERY powerfull. Planetside 2 WILL NOT give it any problems unless you are running multiple screens.

I am trying to help. Please don't react like that, its not very nice. :non: :)

Especially since you are asking for assistance.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

I was thinking, uh oh, 7970 anyone. Even us Nvidia fanboys know not to say the 680 is faster..lol More stable maybe ..dig dig..but not faster.

Exactly... hehehe, at least AMD is working on the smoothness issue. So that won't even be applicable for very long.

BUT one thing that Nvidia has in their favour.
AMD will only be releasing HD8xxx in Q4, so for the first time in YEARS Nvidia will be first in releasing the next gen IF they can keep to schedule!

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Pardon me, you're right. If you want a much hotter card that sucks down power and falls apart in Crossfire with newer games, falls apart with various 3D applications I use,...get the 7970.

I'll edit my original post to say "fastest, consistently performing" to make you AMD "fanboys" happy. Although I don't get the name calling, I just use what works best, and it's not AMD cards. Powerhouses yes, efficient and consistent, no.

LOL I won't deny that in some cases Nvidia is a better option(if you use PhysX or an APP that utilizes cuda). Even F@H Nvidia is also much better.

BUT I do not entirely agree with your gross exaggeration. Listen to your fellow Nvidia fan larrym, he knows.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Yes, I added two words to my original post that completely voids your entire argument. So let's leave it at that.

larrym

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Well that was a quick war, these usually go for 2 or 3 pages with at least 1 AMD fan..lol

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

I have/had a non-gaming rig for bitcoin mining that uses a pair of 7950's. Why? Because they can do brute force calculations faster. So now what am I a fanboy of? Applying strengths where they belong and noting weaknesses where they are? Please keep labeling me, I know it makes you feel better to categorize those around you :)

Suuuure... Its just because Kepler compute performance is SOOOO dismal that you had no choice but to use HD7970s.

Is today a national holiday celebrating being rude or some'at?

This is the fourth thread I've run into in as many minutes where there have been more people interested only in insults and snarkiness than in helping.

OP: The fact that the 680 is a poor pick over a 670 aside, it'll max out planetside 2 just fine. Don't worry about spending more money to do nothing but generate more heat.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Negative. All of us in this thread were originally helping the OP. I made a comment that was not accurate in the way it was worded, so it offended a few people. No big deal. Tom's is a much more friendly atmosphere than most message boards so I wouldn't go so far as calling it a national holiday of being rude. That's a bit much.

I agree with you though, in that the 670 is undoubtedly a better value pick. You can pick it up on Amazon "used - like new" for less than $350. That's a great deal!

Fair point. But i have assisted the OP and got it thrown in my face... Can't expect me to care much for "on topic"... :(

It just aggravates me sooooo much when people are unhappy with accurate and HELPFUL answers and choose to believe and argue for falsehoods(especially when they have asked for the help originally).

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

EDIT : Classic human nature. People only want to accept what they WANT to.

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012

Nobody threw anything in your face, stop whining. The OP assumed the game required a higher level of performance than it actually does. It happens. All you had to do was calmly explain that to him, and now you're derailing the thread again.