gpu default clock speed broken?

henkkrakers

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017
so i bought my 1060 in november and it has been advertised as

base clock = 1544mhz
boost clock = 1759mhz

however when i play a game it says my clock when playing the game is
1923mhz (however this fluctuates between 1800 and 1923mhz because it's not stable.

keep in mind I have not overclocked this card at all. I have literally just pressed the reset button in msi afterburner and applied the settings so that everything is default.

my question is when you press the reset button on your msi afterburner overclock does your mhz core clock go past the advertised boost clock or not? is it normal that my default 1060 is going to 1923mhz when it is advertised to default at 1759mhz?

Solution
If the GPU is at 100% load it will stay rock solid at 2113mhz, clock speed will automatically lower when the gpu is not under much load say during a loading screen in a game or a test transition in a benchmark. But if the GPU is under full load the clock speed should not for example start at 1974mhz then slowly lower itself to 1800mhz, that would indicate you are hitting some kind of thermal or power limit (most likely thermal) that's causing the gpu to reign in its clocks a bit.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Thats GPU Boost 3.0 at work, the card will essentially overclock itself if temp and power limits allow. My msi gaming 1060 6gb boosts to 1974mhz with no manual overclock. The advertised boost clock is just the speeds its guaranteed to hit from my understanding, but the vast majority of 1060s will boost quite a bit past the advertised boost clock.

henkkrakers

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017

does that mean i can't overclock it anymore than the default or can i still overclock past what 3.0 does?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador

You can, my 1060 will hit 2113mhz on the core and I can add an extra 500mhz to the memory clocks stable with a manual overclock.

henkkrakers

Commendable
Mar 5, 2017

when you open the chart (the button to the left of the core clock slider. when you do a tough benchmark do you see fluctuations at that overclock? or is it 100% stable at that voltage/frequency mhz?

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
If the GPU is at 100% load it will stay rock solid at 2113mhz, clock speed will automatically lower when the gpu is not under much load say during a loading screen in a game or a test transition in a benchmark. But if the GPU is under full load the clock speed should not for example start at 1974mhz then slowly lower itself to 1800mhz, that would indicate you are hitting some kind of thermal or power limit (most likely thermal) that's causing the gpu to reign in its clocks a bit.

Solution