[SOLVED] GPU died after a few hours

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
I got a ASUS RTX 3070 a few weeks ago. It worked great for a few hours and randomly started stuttering and shut down, upon trying to restart it I could smell something for a second and died. The LCD screen on the side still lit up but no power to GPU. I ended up getting a replacement but I wanted to check and see what commonly causes this. I understand there's no way to really know but for peace of mind I wanted to ask before putting the replacement in and possibly killing it a second time. Is it common for GPUs to die after a few hours of use? I'm running a 850w modular psu and made sure to use 2 different PCIe cables for the 2 8pin power connectors and before installing it I completely disassembled the PC and cleaned it thoroughly. After the 3070 died I put my other GPU back in and it worked fine. Anyone had this happen before?

Solution
Anyone had this happen before?
everyday on just about every tech site there are multiple reports of DOA or dying during first usage.
it's not uncommon at all.

usually it is either an unreliable power supply, faulty manufacturing, and/or mishandling that causes it.
you listed Corsair 850w Gold but which model exactly. Corsair does put out some very low end models.
Anyone had this happen before?
everyday on just about every tech site there are multiple reports of DOA or dying during first usage.
it's not uncommon at all.

usually it is either an unreliable power supply, faulty manufacturing, and/or mishandling that causes it.
you listed Corsair 850w Gold but which model exactly. Corsair does put out some very low end models.

Reactions: RodroX
Solution

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
The Corsair wasn't modular so I got a Enermax Revolution DF 850w fully modular power supply a few years ago. I've built 5-6 Pc's over the years and this time went above and beyond to make sure I didn't do anything to damage the GPU (go figure) since they are like gold right now. After the 3070 died I ordered a Kill-A-Watt power monitor and with the 3060 I'm pulling about 500w from the wall during a stress test so I should have plenty of headroom for the 3070 I would think? I still haven't tried the 3070 yet because I'm nervous it might fry my entire setup if something happens again. Should I get a different PSU or just give it a try?

RacAtat007

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2012
850w non modulair Corsair must be the TX850w from 12 years ago. It's the only non modulair 850w Corsair and with a little fantasy it's gold...the label. Why do you use such old PSU with brand new hardware?
I upgraded the PSU when I upgraded the components. It was running a FX-8350 for a long time. Currently have a Enermax 850w.

Check something from tier A or tier b
the Revolution D.F. is one of the highest rated consumer power supplies out there.

i would doubt that it would have caused any damage to components but if it can be proved as a culprit they should have connected device coverage built-in to the PSU's warranty.
I upgraded the PSU when I upgraded the components
you should update your forum signature to avoid these types of confusion in the future.