[SOLVED] GPU died after repaste thermal paste (6800 xt)

May 6, 2021
Hi. I got a msi 6800 xt gaming x trio. Yesterday i do my routine 6 month full rig cleanup (re apply all thermal paste and dust cleaning because my house have a lot of dust even my air conditioner need to be clean 3 monthly) so when i put it all together my pc boots up but when loading windows it kinda crash and blue screen (windows encoutered a problem something like that so i chose the option of troubleshooting and diagnostic.. after a few failed attemp of windows diagnostic (restarted my pc a few times) i thought that it might be my windows got corrupted and restart the pc and go into the bios almost immediately my bios froze and there's like a screen tearing and a bit of like few rectangular colours green, purple and red (like when playing a broken DVD) near the tearing and my pc shuts down.. after that my pc wont boot up.. the ez debug led light up at boot at first then after i clear cmos it lights up at vga. I tried the gpu on a diffrent pc and still doesn't have any display.. is my gpu dies because i repaste it? Im using thermal grizzly kryonaut thermal paste and thermalright odyssey extreme thermal pad.. can someone here help me try to somehow fix it..

Solution
I would guess that you either applied to much paste or have tightened the cooler too tight.
Check the paste, confirm its not all over the place.
Second tighten the gpu cooler enough so it is snug but not tight

Thermal paste only needs to be changed every few years.