[SOLVED] GPU died for not being in use for around 3-4 months.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
I have a RX 580 and it was working perfectly fine when I left my home and because of this pandemic I wasn't able to use my PC for about 4 months and now when I came back my GPU doesn't work, NO DISPLAY, NO FAN RUNNING but the card is heating as it should be.

Solution
If you left the PSU plugged in on standby/soft-off, it could be the PSU that died. In my own experience, it is fairly common for the 5VSB rail to die first and cause all sorts of power-up issues.

Usually, when GPUs and motherboards power up, they default to 100% fan speed until firmware boots and takes control. If you have no fans at boot, that is highly suspicious.

InvalidError

Titan
If you left the PSU plugged in on standby/soft-off, it could be the PSU that died. In my own experience, it is fairly common for the 5VSB rail to die first and cause all sorts of power-up issues.

Usually, when GPUs and motherboards power up, they default to 100% fan speed until firmware boots and takes control. If you have no fans at boot, that is highly suspicious.

Solution

InvalidError

Titan
My PC was completely shut down.
Your PC may be shut down but the PSU's 5VSB rail is always on unless you physically disconnect it from AC input either from a switch on the power strip/UPS, the switch on the PSU itself if present or unplugging it altogether.

If you disconnected the PSU by any of those methods, then there is a small possibility that the CMOS memory got corrupted during storage, so you could try a CMOS clear and possibly a new battery.

OMGiTxREALHASSAN

Reputable
Jun 28, 2019
I'm using EVGA's GTX 460 with 2 6-pin connectors. That's why I don't think my PSU has any problem.
Your PC may be shut down but the PSU's 5VSB rail is always on unless you physically disconnect it from AC input either from a switch on the power strip/UPS, the switch on the PSU itself if present or unplugging it altogether.

If you disconnected the PSU by any of those methods, then there is a small possibility that the CMOS memory got corrupted during storage, so you could try a CMOS clear and possibly a new battery.

Yeah I physically disconnected it from the AC Input, But I can't understand what you just said about the CMOS battery, it doesn't make any sense to me . Can you elaborate please!

InvalidError

Titan
Yeah I physically disconnected it from the AC Input, But I can't understand what you just said about the CMOS battery, it doesn't make any sense to me . Can you elaborate please!
PCs have a small amount of CMOS memory used to save a handful of BIOS settings and also run the real-time clock. Under normal circumstances, that memory is powered by 5VSB and when 5VSB is missing, it also has a small battery backup it can use.

If anything happened to the CMOS memory, there is a slight chance that a bit may have gotten flipped undetected and is causing the PC to lock up from loading a bad parameter.