GPU died last night. Need help on finding suitable replacement.

unihandroll

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
As the title mentioned, my GPU died last night. It was a GeForce 9800GTX+. I'm looking for a decent upgrade that's also compatible with my, almost 9yr old, tower.

I didn't personally build it, and without being able to see my system information, I can't tell you which CPU I have. I remember something about Intel Quad-core.... I thiiink.

What I can tell you is that it has a P5N-E SLl motherboard, an 850W PSU, 4gigs of DDR2 RAM, and Windows Vista Home Premium as the OS.

I hope that's enough info for you guys. I'm excited about the possibility of upgrading, but I'm also looking for something that doesn't break the bank.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

that's odd that it's expensive, but then again, i don't know where you live. Here I can pick up a 550ti or now even some odd 650s at around 40$Canadian.

You should look into maxalge's suggestion and look for a gt730 since the other options are not working out

from the overall system age and what not, I would say that you should be looking to be picking up something used, maybe in the GTX550ti range, extremely cheap. problem is that your CPU is definetly not up to task to be even thinking about anything new off the shelf without it being felt like a waste of money.

you most likely have a Q6600 CPU or something in that range.

one important thing ill say about buying used part for your PC instead of new one is that you most likely have "Old" bios type, called LEGACY. All new cards work on UEFI bios (new one). I have seen some ways around it, but it is a lot of hassle for virtually 0 gain in your case. So buying a used GPU which is older, will benifit in cost and in not having to worry about it being compatible with old system. (i think it was after gtx6xx series that you needed UEFI, you could always google it when you find a desirable GPU)

unihandroll

Prominent
Aug 3, 2017
I checked that one out. It's a bit pricey. I don't game on my PC if that matters. I use it mostly for graphic design programs. I'm not sure if Adobe Suite is even GPU intensive.

When I first got it I wanted something beefy because I was doing a lot of 3D rendering for school. But I don't do that anymore. The most gaming I do on my PC now is occasional retro emulation.

Can you recommend something under a hundred?

maxalge

Champion
Ambassador

just drop in a gt 730

that's odd that it's expensive, but then again, i don't know where you live. Here I can pick up a 550ti or now even some odd 650s at around 40$Canadian.

You should look into maxalge's suggestion and look for a gt730 since the other options are not working out

Solution