[SOLVED] GPU died, what card should I get?

DreJReaper

Reputable
Apr 10, 2016
Hi everyone.

My GPU died through shipping, so it's time for a new card.

My current rig is:
i7 4790k
Radeon r9 290x Lightning
16GB RAM
PSU: Corsair CX Series CX750M Modular ATX

At the moment I'm not able to upgrade mobo, RAM, and CPU so my intent is to upgrade my GPU and then when I have the money I will eventually upgrade the rest of my system including CPU.

Any recommendations for what GPU to upgrade to? I'm looking for a used GPU from previous years that is relatively future-proofed so that I can eventually upgrade my CPU to match my GPU's performance.

My budget is up to around $300 but obviously the lower the better. I see 1070s are going for around $200 and this seems to be a popular used choice. Is this recommended? What are my options?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Solution
PSU model?

I'm not really too fond of used GPU's but if you can find a 1070 in good condition for around $200 then go for it.

For new I'd probably get the 1660 Ti or 1660 Super (when it comes out).

DSzymborski

Titan
I can't personally give a GPU recommendation without knowing the specific PSU. While the PSU that powers a 290X should theoretically be able to power pretty much anything, it's certainly possible you had an unsafe situation to begin with and I would not be comfortable possibly contributing to this situation continuing.

DreJReaper

Reputable
Apr 10, 2016
I can't personally give a GPU recommendation without knowing the specific PSU. While the PSU that powers a 290X should theoretically be able to power pretty much anything, it's certainly possible you had an unsafe situation to begin with and I would not be comfortable possibly contributing to this situation continuing.
PSU is Corsair CX Series CX750M Modular ATX