[SOLVED] GPU Dilemma

Sep 30, 2019
I currently have a burning question that I really can't answer for myself. I'm looking to upgrade my computer, and I've done hours of research to come to a few different options. (I'm looking to buy a GPU, I know what CPU I want no question and have good RAM). I'm looking to get a GPU that delivers frames for a good price at 1080p, and can handle the harshest games at 60 FPS at Ultra or Very High settings. I also want to be a content creator as a hobby.

I have a 1080p60hz monitor. I am currently running a GTX 650 with a Ryzen 5 1400 on an AB350 Gaming 3 mobo, with 16gb of 2400mhz of RAM. I will pair whatever I get with a Ryzen 5 3600. My time frame for purchasing these is over the next months, getting GPU mid-Oct, CPU late-Nov, and anything extra Christmas. I currently play less intensive games, but the reason why I am getting new stuff is due to job that gets me money for this and new, more intense games. I'll be getting a new monitor, 120hz, at some point in the future. Current monitor has only DVI-D port, so I will need a new monitor as all the GPUs I have looked at do not have DVI-D ports. In the meantime I'll do a HDMI-DVI-D conversion.

1. The more expensive option, the RX 5700. This is $350, provides most frames of my options but, is of course, the most expensive. I've seen how it performs, I want it for my own, and I believe it will serve me well in years to come. I don't want to spend more than this.

2. GTX 1660. $220, gets less frames but better encoding tech and is cheaper and as about as modern. Very nice alternative, but I will miss those frames. More attractive due to 60Hz monitor.

3. Wait for the (hopefully) new releases in October and judge from there.

Please relieve me of this predicament! I will answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Solution
1080p, and can handle the harshest games at 60 FPS at Ultra or Very High settings.

Unfortunately, a GPU that can do this in each/every title, is not <$350 - and the 5700XT is probably the cheapest card that would achieve it reliably.
Even then, there will probably be games that even a strong GPU might not be able to do at Ultra, constantly.

If you're prepared to make a couple of tweaks to settings (most on Ultra, the occassional thing on High, for example), then a 60FPS 1080p target is much more attainable.

A 1660TI is around $230-$240, and should handle it no problem.

You could also look to older (or used) GPUs. RX570, RX580, 1060 6GB, cards like that can still do what you want more often than not, just requiring a few...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
1080p, and can handle the harshest games at 60 FPS at Ultra or Very High settings.

Unfortunately, a GPU that can do this in each/every title, is not <$350 - and the 5700XT is probably the cheapest card that would achieve it reliably.
Even then, there will probably be games that even a strong GPU might not be able to do at Ultra, constantly.

If you're prepared to make a couple of tweaks to settings (most on Ultra, the occassional thing on High, for example), then a 60FPS 1080p target is much more attainable.

A 1660TI is around $230-$240, and should handle it no problem.

You could also look to older (or used) GPUs. RX570, RX580, 1060 6GB, cards like that can still do what you want more often than not, just requiring a few settings tweaks.

Solution