Question GPU DisplayPort works fine with VGA adapter, but HDMI adapter doesnt work

May 13, 2021
My computer has 3 DisplayPorts and 1 HDMI outputs.

I normally use 3 monitors, one is VGA only, so I use a VGA to DisplayPort adapter, which works perfectly on all ports I try to connect it. Always good, on all ports.

The other 2 monitors are HDTVs that use HDMI, so I connect one directly onto the HDMI port, and the other one with a DisplayPort adapter.
For some reason, any of the 2 monitors that I connect directly onto HDMI port work perfectly fine, but when I use the adapter to DisplayPort it stops working.
***(By not working, I mean that it detects a monitor with 640x480 resolution but the monitor itself doesnt show anything. It still allows me to extend my "desktop" into that little monitor, but it wont show up on the screen itself)

Debugging:
*This setup has worked for me for almost 2 years without any problems, until recently (About 1 week ago), so I thought it could be the adapter itself was failing, so I bought a new one which didnt solved the problem. Right now If i connect both 2 HDMI monitors with the adapters, both of them wont show up anything, and the computer detects them as 640x480 displays.

*Ive also tried to modify the screen resolution of the monitor on AMD Randeon Software, but it says 1080p isnt compatible.

PC Specs:
Ryzen 7 2700
16GB RAM 3000MHz
RX480 8GB
Monitors are 1920x1080p

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS