[SOLVED] GPU does not support DX12??

Nov 23, 2020
Trying to play the new assassin's creed valhalla on my pc. 32gb ram, i7-7600 and Nvidia GT 740.
Ok so not the most amazing GPU I get that but it should be able to support the minimum. Yet I received a message error saying "unable to initialise graphics system. GPU does not support DX12"

I have DX12 installed so it should already support it. Is there a way to force play this game? Updated all my driver's (the new driver I downloaded said it helped with this specific game so all signs lead to that I should be able to play this even at super low Res ...right?)

Solution
GT 740 supports feature level 11_0. It can't render using DX 12 instructions. If you wanted to stay with Nvidia, you would have to upgrade to Maxwell 2.0 for DX 12_1 support. Maxwell 1.0 is only 11_1, so you'd need at least a GTX 950 for DX 12.

I hate having to add this to so many posts all the time, but be careful when shopping for video cards on ebay. There are a lot of fake cards coming out of China for a while now claiming to be something that they are not. Unbranded cards or cards with brands that nobody has ever heard of before are most likely going to be red flags. Knowing what port configurations the card you want comes with and the layout of the boards can also help you to spot fakes. Maxwell cards like the 950, 960, and 970...
Trying to play the new assassin's creed valhalla on my pc. 32gb ram, i7-7600 and Nvidia GT 740.
Ok so not the most amazing GPU I get that but it should be able to support the minimum. Yet I received a message error saying "unable to initialise graphics system. GPU does not support DX12"

I have DX12 installed so it should already support it. Is there a way to force play this game? Updated all my driver's (the new driver I downloaded said it helped with this specific game so all signs lead to that I should be able to play this even at super low Res ...right?)
You could have DirectX 12 installed but that does not mean the GPU supports it.
By the way the are several DirectX 12 levels (12-0, 12-1 &12-2).
You could run 'dxdiag' or Download and run GPU-Z and fins out the DirectX version and levels your GPU supports

animekenji

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2010
GT 740 supports feature level 11_0. It can't render using DX 12 instructions. If you wanted to stay with Nvidia, you would have to upgrade to Maxwell 2.0 for DX 12_1 support. Maxwell 1.0 is only 11_1, so you'd need at least a GTX 950 for DX 12.

I hate having to add this to so many posts all the time, but be careful when shopping for video cards on ebay. There are a lot of fake cards coming out of China for a while now claiming to be something that they are not. Unbranded cards or cards with brands that nobody has ever heard of before are most likely going to be red flags. Knowing what port configurations the card you want comes with and the layout of the boards can also help you to spot fakes. Maxwell cards like the 950, 960, and 970 are among the most common cards faked, but popular cards from other families, like the 750 Ti and 1050 Ti are also faked a lot.

Last edited:
Solution