GPU doesn't display in device manager

Jul 1, 2018
Specs
I5-2310
H61m-c
450 80+ bronze evga
64 sata drive
GTS 450

So basically, I have one PCI-e 3.0 slot and I snugged my GTS in there perfectly and attached it. I then plugged in the DVI from my GPU to my monitor, but it doesn't work. I then checked device manager and it wasn't there, only Intel graphics which I don't want to use obviously. I tried showing hidden devices and it didn't work

Solution
In your case, that setting in the graphics source of the BIOS amounts to the same thing. In the default setting (Auto) if a graphics card is detected in the PCI Express x 16 slot, the integrated graphics are disabled and the graphics are switched to the graphics card. The integrated option forces it to the integrated graphics. The PCI Express (x 16) option forces it to the graphics card in the PCI Express x 16 slot.

I suspect that either the PCI Express x 16 slot is bad. Or, the graphics card isn't functioning due to defect or inadequate power.

It is also possible that the graphics card requires a BIOS flash update. From your post it isn't clear that you got that to work.

You can test the slot by putting a graphics card known...
There are a few possibilities. I would suggest reseating the graphics card first. The GTS 450 requires a 6-pin PCIE cable from the power supply. Make sure the PCIE cable is firmly plugged into the graphics card. Also make sure that the power supply is adequate for the graphics card. It has a system requirement of a 400 watt power supply. How old is the power supply?

There is the possibility that the graphics card is defective.

And more of a last resort, the motherboard BIOS may need to be updated to detect the graphics card.

Jul 1, 2018

the gpus fan was spinning and the card was warm, i tried installing bios update but when I put the bios update on the usb drive and go to ez flash it wont let me load it up and the power supply is brand new

That motherboard uses Asus EZ Flash 2. Here are instructions for that. Note that not all it will apply to your series of motherboard. But the part about the fat 32 USB does apply. The Asus BIOS renaming tool may also be needed.

https://www.asus.com/microsite/2014/MB/New_4th_gen_Intel_processor_compatibility/

Jul 1, 2018

I'm not sure what to rename it to, this is the website for my bios https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/H61MC/HelpDesk_Download/ EDIT: Found out the name, still doesnt show in BIOS
bd7671b8b25a6dc6536ab25a67eeb063.png
that's the only thing it doesn't show the CAT Files and the USB Drive is formated with FAT 32

Jul 1, 2018

I managed to update the BIOS settings with ASUS Manager
I went to the graphics settings and changed Display from auto to PCIe, then went i save changes i notice the GPU still didnt show up in the device manager so i rebooted and checked BIOS and it didnt switch to PCIe it some reason changed to auto again

In your case, that setting in the graphics source of the BIOS amounts to the same thing. In the default setting (Auto) if a graphics card is detected in the PCI Express x 16 slot, the integrated graphics are disabled and the graphics are switched to the graphics card. The integrated option forces it to the integrated graphics. The PCI Express (x 16) option forces it to the graphics card in the PCI Express x 16 slot.

I suspect that either the PCI Express x 16 slot is bad. Or, the graphics card isn't functioning due to defect or inadequate power.

It is also possible that the graphics card requires a BIOS flash update. From your post it isn't clear that you got that to work.

You can test the slot by putting a graphics card known to be working in the PCI Express x 16 slot (with adequate power). If it detects that GPU, then you know the problem is with the other graphics car (or power supply).

If it doesn't detect the (working )graphics, then the slot is bad. The motherboard would need to be replaced to use a graphics card (since you only have one PCI Express x 16 slot).

Solution