Question GPU doesn't start but light blinks

Error137

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
Hello everyone, I recieved a XFX Gaming RX 580 GTS XXX Edition 8Gb Gddr5 video card from a friend who said it's dead. I would like to know if I can bring it back to life, he said he didn't try to repair it cuz he was gonna replace it anyway, so here are the issues:

- GPU doesn't post when you plug in the monitor cable

- GPU fans don't spin

- It doesn't appear in task manager

The only thing that seems to happen with the GPU is when I power up the PC, a small blue led lights up next to the PSU connector.

Do you guys think it's a dead GPU or can it be brought back to life? I tried swapping the PCIe slots and cleaned it

My PC works fine, I put in my old GPU and it works perfectly fine, so there's no problem with the motherboard or the PSU

I think most likely it's dead forever because I think most likely any repair would take more effort than the card is worth. First you have to find the problem...and then be capable of repairing it....and I just don't see that happening for the average person.

Error137

Reputable
Feb 23, 2017
What about trying to RMA the card to XFX? If it's less than 3 years old they might fix / send you a refurbished unit.
I never RMA'd a gpu in my life and I think it's older than 3 years sadly, on top of that I am kind of ashamed to ask my friend "hey you know that gpu you gave me for free do you think you can send it in so I can get a new one", but I doubt it's dead for good. I started reading up online and apprently that blue light turns on when the GPU gets power, it's supposed to turn red when something is wrong so I still have hopes that I can make it work, sadly tho I have no other PCs to test it in other than mine and my friend's

AntonyLovric

Distinguished
I never RMA'd a gpu in my life and I think it's older than 3 years sadly, on top of that I am kind of ashamed to ask my friend "hey you know that gpu you gave me for free do you think you can send it in so I can get a new one", but I doubt it's dead for good. I started reading up online and apprently that blue light turns on when the GPU gets power, it's supposed to turn red when something is wrong so I still have hopes that I can make it work, sadly tho I have no other PCs to test it in other than mine and my friend's

Uhm, you can try to send it in on his behalf / for him. Email XFX, what have you got to lose?

Reactions: poorbugger