Question GPU downclocks at 100% utilization

Feb 25, 2023
My GPU should max out at 1935 MHz (w/ overclock). Instead when I'm playing a demanding game that forces the usage to go to 100%, the GPU stays at ~1430 or so MHz.
When I drop the resolution of the same game to a lower res, the usage goes down and the clock goes up to 1935MHz. Is this normal behaviour? If not, how could I force my GPU to stay at its max clock speed when playing demanding games?

Feb 25, 2023
With the information provided it sounds normal.

How about telling us what GPU?

What are your temps while gaming?

My temps are far from the thermal limit (71C, while the limit is 87C). The GPU is a Laptop RTX 3080, capped at 100W TDP.

I was wondering whether or not it's normal for clocks to be lower when doing demanding things. I didn't know if they were supposed to always stay at their max, or if putting load on them makes the clock speed lower. Could you clear that out for me? It would finally get rid of that confusion of mine :)

Feb 25, 2023
Probably your gpu is hitting power limit at 100%.
Then it has to lower voltage/frequency to meet power target.

Yeah now that you say that I can see why that'd be the case. A desktop 3080 would usually reach those clocks with much more wattage, so it makes sense for mine to not reach those clocks, given the lower TDP. Is what I'm saying right? Thx for your answer!