• Pardon our dust as we work on some regularly scheduled forum maintenance. You may notice some missing features during this time. Thank you for your patience!

Question GPU drawing power away from my NIC

pgsmedley

Prominent
Nov 26, 2017
Hi guys,

Recently I bought a new GPU of a friend of mine, its a GeForce GTX 1050ti made by gigabyte, and after I installed its drivers my network speeds dropped massively, previously I was getting about 15mb/s however now I get about 300kb/s.
However I realised that when the GPU timed out the network speed would increase again back up to about 4mb/s. I was wondering if their was a way to prioritize the NICs power over the GPUs.
Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me :)

jonnyguru

Distinguished
Hi guys,

Recently I bought a new GPU of a friend of mine, its a GeForce GTX 1050ti made by gigabyte, and after I installed its drivers my network speeds dropped massively, previously I was getting about 15mb/s however now I get about 300kb/s.
However I realised that when the GPU timed out the network speed would increase again back up to about 4mb/s. I was wondering if their was a way to prioritize the NICs power over the GPUs.
Thanks for reading and I hope you can help me :)
That's not "power". The GPU isn't taking "power" away from the NIC.

Full specifications please. Most specifically: What motherboard? That will tell us what NIC you're using. The problem is likely that your NIC Is a "soft" NIC and uses compression via the CPU to T/R data. If you go into CPU perormance in Task Mananger and then do a upload/download test like SpeedTest, do you see a spike in CPU utilization?

So, of course, we would also want to know what CPU you're using.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS