Question GPU driver crash while gaming, is this a cause of concern ?

Hi,
Was playing Apex Legends and right after a game starts and I drop on ground the game froze and I get a black screen. The GPU driver recovers and says a driver crash occurred.

GPU driver crash happened first time for me. Is this a cause of concern?
As my card is hardly 1 year old and never been mined on and temps never exceeded 60C while gaming. Driver is not latest though and is from January. Latest drivers had some issue specially after AMD's dx11 patches.

Some recent red flags I noticed is that once post took too long after bios flash screen.
Once Windows loading circle kept spinning for 10-12 times (usually its 2.5 times)
And for past 3 months or so Windows logon screen comes quite a few seconds late after the spinning circle, whereas previously with an Nvidia GPU it was instant.

Graphics Card is a MSI RX6600.

So any advice in this regard will be appreciated.

Hi,
Was playing Apex Legends and right after a game starts and I drop on ground the game froze and I get a black screen. The GPU driver recovers and says a driver crash occurred.

GPU driver crash happened first time for me. Is this a cause of concern?
As my card is hardly 1 year old and never been mined on and temps never exceeded 60C while gaming. Driver is not latest though and is from January. Latest drivers had some issue specially after AMD's dx11 patches.

Some recent red flags I noticed is that once post took too long after bios flash screen.
Once Windows loading circle kept spinning for 10-12 times (usually its 2.5 times)
And for past 3 months or so Windows logon screen comes quite a few seconds late after the spinning circle, whereas previously with an Nvidia GPU it was instant.

Graphics Card is a MSI RX6600.

So any advice in this regard will be appreciated.

Hey there,

Well, TBH, you've kinda pointed out what may actually be the issue. Most driver crashes are related to the version. Older versions may have some bug, that carries from one to the next. Most of the time, updating to the most recent driver is the solution.

But also, make sure your system drivers are all up to date, including chipset etc.

Then test again and see how it goes.

You can get your system drivers here: ASRock > Support

You can get your GPU drivers here : Official GeForce Drivers | NVIDIA

If the issue persists we can look at other things.

Reactions: rounakr94
Hey there,

Well, TBH, you've kinda pointed out what may actually be the issue. Most driver crashes are related to the version. Older versions may have some bug, that carries from one to the next. Most of the time, updating to the most recent driver is the solution.

But also, make sure your system drivers are all up to date, including chipset etc.

Then test again and see how it goes.

You can get your system drivers here: ASRock > Support

You can get your GPU drivers here : Official GeForce Drivers | NVIDIA

If the issue persists we can look at other things.
Updated to 22.8.1 yesterday and so far its stable. Lets see for a few more days.

Updated to 22.8.1 yesterday and so far its stable. Lets see for a few more days.

Good! Hopefully that will do it. Also be sure to update your system drivers, sepcially the chipset driver, which has the Ryzen Balanced Power plan. This will ensur eyour CPU runs at it's optimum (edit: once the chipset is installed, then select Ryzen Balanced plan in your power options.)

Last edited:
Reactions: rounakr94