[SOLVED] GPU Driver crashes, Fans 100%, PC still running . . . help!

CollinsUCC

Honorable
May 18, 2014
Hey guys, I'll get right to the point. GPU or Driver is crashing whenever I try and install the driver or when I boot into Windows after the driver is installed. I can still remote desktop into the PC and use it, even though the GPU is running at max fan speed with no lights and no output.

PC runs perfectly fine with no drivers (Microsoft basic display driver). Literally only when a driver is installed the crash starts.

Windows event logs:

Code:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x3:0x0
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_3C08&SUBSYS_49538086&REV_07
Secondary Device Name:

Followed by this error:
Code:
Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Ive tried:
  1. Different PCIe slot
  2. Different psu cable (different rail)
  3. Fresh driver install with DDU in safe mode
  4. Rolled back 3 driver versions
  5. Rolled back Windows Update
  6. GPU never climbs above 60 degrees
  7. No dust
Is my GPU dead or can anyone think of anything else? :(

Solution
Microsoft's generic VGA adapter drivers don't use GPU acceleration, they are just a dumb VGA buffer driver and would probably still work even if you gouged the shader units out of the die.

Crash on driver install could be a dying GPU, could be a corrupt Windows install, maybe even a flaky PSU, CPU or motherboard. Easiest way to confirm would be to try the GPU in a different system. If you get the same crashes, then something on the GPU probably failed since problems followed the hardware.

InvalidError

Titan
Microsoft's generic VGA adapter drivers don't use GPU acceleration, they are just a dumb VGA buffer driver and would probably still work even if you gouged the shader units out of the die.

Crash on driver install could be a dying GPU, could be a corrupt Windows install, maybe even a flaky PSU, CPU or motherboard. Easiest way to confirm would be to try the GPU in a different system. If you get the same crashes, then something on the GPU probably failed since problems followed the hardware.

Reactions: CollinsUCC
Solution

CollinsUCC

Honorable
May 18, 2014

Looks like I've a long weekend ahead with this machine. Thanks for the reply!