Question GPU driver crashes in games, I'm running out of things to test ?

drambit

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011
When I played WoW TBC Classic I was getting AMD driver crashes intermittently that interrupt the game and sometimes cause deaths. They are relatively mild crashes, the screen just freezes and then reloads 4 or 5 seconds later with an AMD driver crash notification, but they are extremely annoying.

I tried disabling all my addons in the game. Didn't help. I tried reinstalling the game fresh, didn't help. Wiped all my GPU drivers with DDU and reinstalled them. Didn't help. At this point it looked like the video card was having some sort of serious hardware malfunction, so I slotted it into my friend's PC to test that idea. No crashes, at all, for weeks, the video card works perfectly in a different system. So I tried to rule out parts in my system by slotting my friend's GTX 760 into my PC. No crashes, at all, for weeks. At this point, it looked like maybe a power delivery issue, because the gtx 760 consumes much less power than the R9 290, so I swapped his power supply in for mine. The crashes remain. I ran SFC /scannow, it found 5 corrupt files, which it fixed, it seemed to make things better for one day, then they came back.

I'm on a relatively new installation of Windows that was freshly installed last April, so I have a hard time believing Windows is at fault here, especially considering that everything worked fine with the other video card. I know Windows can sometimes be extremely sketchy though. I have had windows update for GPU drivers disabled since I first installed Windows 10 so I know for a fact windows update didn't randomly break something. I have ran out of things to try besides a full reformat.

What on earth could be causing this issue?

Mobo: MSI Z97S SLI PLUS
CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K
HDD: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB
GPU: AMD Radeon R9 290
RAM: HyperX Fury DDR3 1866mhz 8GB
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750W

ASK THE COMMUNITY