[SOLVED] Gpu driver question for new build

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I'm building a new PC and im going to be putting in my 2070 super from my old build until I get my 3000 series card. When I install my gpu and install a fresh windows 10, whats the best way to get the latest driver for my gpu? Should I download and install it from nvidias website or just use GeForce experience app to do it?

Solution
Two subjects:

1 Any graphics card will have a basic mode that lets you get into windows without any drivers.
Not to worry, you will always see something on your monitor.
When you can, download the latest driver directly from nvidia.
Other "driver helper" apps can contain tracking and malware.

2 After a motherboard is released, minor issues are fixed via bios updates.
If such issues are not a bother, one never needs to flash an update.
A failed flash can be difficult to recover from.
The usual recommendation is to not flash unless the flash has a fix for something that is impacting you.

Modern motherboards are much better at this so I think I would update the bios to currency right away when anything nasty that could happen...

Lutfij

Titan
You're advised to download the latest drivers for your Nvidia GPU from Nvidia's support site, if need be via a donor system/laptop. Once downloaded, carry it over to a pen drive. Once you've finished installing the OS, disconnect from the internet, carry over the GPU drivers installer from pen drive to new system and install it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Another good practice is to make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Then manually source all relevant drivers for said motherboard and install them in an elevated command as stated above.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
You're advised to download the latest drivers for your Nvidia GPU from Nvidia's support site, if need be via a donor system/laptop. Once downloaded, carry it over to a pen drive. Once you've finished installing the OS, disconnect from the internet, carry over the GPU drivers installer from pen drive to new system and install it in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator.

Another good practice is to make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Then manually source all relevant drivers for said motherboard and install them in an elevated command as stated above.

The mobo i got says its 5000 series ryzen ready, shouldn't that have the latest bios on it or should I still go to the mobo website and get the newest drivers for bios? I've heard its not always recommended to update bios if not needed

Two subjects:

1 Any graphics card will have a basic mode that lets you get into windows without any drivers.
Not to worry, you will always see something on your monitor.
When you can, download the latest driver directly from nvidia.
Other "driver helper" apps can contain tracking and malware.

2 After a motherboard is released, minor issues are fixed via bios updates.
If such issues are not a bother, one never needs to flash an update.
A failed flash can be difficult to recover from.
The usual recommendation is to not flash unless the flash has a fix for something that is impacting you.

Modern motherboards are much better at this so I think I would update the bios to currency right away when anything nasty that could happen will not impact you. This is particularly important for ryzen in which bios updates tend to fix ram issues.

Solution