[SOLVED] Gpu Driver update ruined my gpu

Sep 21, 2019
So I just installed the new graphics card driver for my RTX 2070. I play rainbow six siege and i got on to play but then i noticed that i was only getting 80 frames with the ultra graphics setting ( mind you i normally get 280 fps) I have overclocked this gpu and cpu ( i5 9600k). I uninstalled the driver and did a clean install but it simply is not working. while playing my gpu is also running at 100%. I have no idea what i need to do can somebody please help me?

Reactions: UIERGO
Solution
If OP rebooted after the driver was installed, Windows 10 might keep replacing the driver with the newest one he already installed instead of using the one the previous driver installer has installed. You're going to need to try turning off automatic updating of the driver temporarily to see if it changes the situation.
Sep 21, 2019
I haven't scanned for any viruses etc. When gaming those are the temps i see not 100% sure. But now whenever i play the gpu goes up to 70 . i have a coolermaster 750 watt 80 plus bronze. i have reverted to stock speeds.

tbh chance a gpu driver ruins your gpu is extremely small.

even if it update messed up the clockspeeds and made it run above what you wanted it to its built in temp limit would kick in and likely prevent damage to the actual card.

updated drivers "do" at times casue worse performance in some games (why some ppl dont upgrade drivers unless they NEED to) but if it is driver related then removing the driver completely would fix that (as it removes the problem cause)

other than that could try to OC the card again from beginning (in case something did get changed w/o knowing)

Sep 21, 2019
tbh chance a gpu driver ruins your gpu is extremely small.

even if it update messed up the clockspeeds and made it run above what you wanted it to its built in temp limit would kick in and likely prevent damage to the actual card.

updated drivers "do" at times casue worse performance in some games (why some ppl dont upgrade drivers unless they NEED to) but if it is driver related then removing the driver completely would fix that (as it removes the problem cause)

other than that could try to OC the card again from beginning (in case something did get changed w/o knowing)
i put that there to address the issue. but once i installed it, it made my gpu run at 100% and only achieving 80 frames on siege compared to my normal 280 fps.

Sep 14, 2019
What’s your current gpu driver update version? After having similar issues o reached out to Nvidia and a few forums and was told there a bug in the update and that there working on the fix, not much help but that’s what I heard
That it’s causing FPS drop

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dunderal

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2009
Curious if it's a bad driver because I'm having a similar problem. Just replaced my Asus Rog Strix 2070 OC with a MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2080 Super and the super is getting worse performance than the 2070 was... so frustrating. I've been giving myself a headache trying to figure this out. Thought maybe it was just a bad board...

If OP rebooted after the driver was installed, Windows 10 might keep replacing the driver with the newest one he already installed instead of using the one the previous driver installer has installed. You're going to need to try turning off automatic updating of the driver temporarily to see if it changes the situation.

Solution