GPU drivers been uninstalled?

immrchamp

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
Hello I'm having some trouble with my 970. Ever time I want to use my PC I have to go into safe mode to install my GPU drivers. If I try to boot my system it tells me windows didnt boot correctly. When I go into safe mode I go into device manager and it doesnt show my 970, it shows something windows or Microsoft related. After install the drivers, the next time I turn my PC off I have to restart the same process.

immrchamp

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016
I will try this. I'm building a new system on Tuesday. Hoping it works becsue how bad the GPU market is right now.

Test it in another system for sure. Also, are you completely removing the drivers using DDU (Display Drive uninstaller)? If not, that could be causing some of the issue. It's possible that the corrupted part of the driver is lingering from one installation to the next. DDU will remove all traces of it.

As for Intel or AMD, both have some really nice CPU's right now, but if you want a path for future upgrades without replacing the motherboard, go AMD. Their CPU performance is great, Intel is generally faster, but AMD isn't far behind and in some cases better.

Intel's upcoming Coffee Lake CPU's will require yet another new motherboard and it's expected that Cannon Lake, which is to be released next after Coffee, will need yet another motherboard. So it comes down to this question....how long do you plan to keep the system and do you want to be able to upgrade the CPU? AMD is planning to keep AM4 until 2020.

immrchamp

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016

I am using ddu to uninstall them. I already ordered the parts for my new build. (i7 7700k) I plan on keeping it for a while though.

c4s2k3

Reputable
Sep 17, 2015
Have you tried Display Driver Uninstaller (DDU)? https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
DDU seems to clear up a lot of driver issues. A lot of times files are left around after a standard uninstall procedure that foul up subsequent installations. DDU does a great job of cleaning up all the extraneous files and directories and gives your system a "clean slate" for installing the correct driver.

Ok, if the board works fine in the other system, then try a different GPU in the current system and see if there is a problem with the motherboard, or maybe just try a different PCIe slot (if one is available on the mobo).

That's a very nice CPU. I tend to keep my systems until I have a reason to upgrade and to be honest, the system in my sig is the longest I've had one yet. The only thing I've needed to upgrade in the 7 years I've had it is the GPU.

immrchamp

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016

immrchamp

Honorable
Apr 10, 2016

Yea I just tried my 750ti and it works. But I have a crappy mobo and it only has 1 x16 pcie slot. Oh and the onboard works fine. I'm just praying my 970 will work in my new system. Thanks for the help though.