GPU drivers for Windows 10?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. I am building a PC for my friend. I decided to use Windows 10 Technical Preview as the OS to save money. I ma going to install an Asus HD 7750 in the PC. Will i be able to use the Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 drivers as GPU drivers on Windows 10? Thanks

Solution

http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/software-partners/microsoft/windows
Here's the info.

Dark Lord of Tech

Retired Moderator

http://www.amd.com/en-us/solutions/software-partners/microsoft/windows
Here's the info.

Solution

USAFRet

Titan

"to save money"
1. You do know that there will need to be an actual OS purchase later this year.
2. Win 7 or 8 drivers may work. No guarantees.
3. It is a Tech Preview. Things change, and not on your schedule.

It might work well, it might not.

Coonah

Reputable
Mar 20, 2014
Hi celtic_warrior,
Firstly Windows 8.1 AMD drivers are working fine on my AMD machine running an R9 280 with Windows 10 Preview. Secondly, you won't have to pay for Windows 10 "later this year" as one other person commented, it will actually be free for a year from release date (29th July 2015)...
BUT ... then you will have to pay, and rumor has it that Windows 10 will be subscription based which no-one is happy about.
I am guessing that what will happen is the preview will become redundant and simply update to the full version automatically, therefore you probably won't be able to continue running the preview.
As far as drivers go, just try it, I'm sure it will be fine. Play a few games to test it and if you have an issue with any particular driver try an earlier one. My system is running the AMD 15.2 driver at the moment with a healthy overclock on the GPU of 1100/1400... I had to uninstall Raptr though as it was causing crashes... (but It's bloatware in my opinion anyway.)
15.2 Seems stable so far in Battlefield 4 which is notorious for stability issues, so I'm guessing a much less powerful card like the 7750 will be fine.
gl

Just remember though, that troubleshooting on the preview version can take a little advanced knowledge of Windows so if you friend is not very technical, you might be getting called all the time. Weird problems can occur with new software and cause real headaches... I've a had a couple so far.

USAFRet

Titan

1. The Windows 10 RTM is only free if you are upgrading from a valid Windows 7/8.8.1.
If all you have is the current Win 10 TP, then you will have to buy it NLT Oct 1, 2015.

2. MS has categorically stated it will not be a subscription license after that initial year.
The "1 year" thing is if you want to upgrade from 7/8.1 for free. You must do this before July 29, 2016.

3. The Tech Preview is slated to turn off Oct 1. You will have to do/buy something before then.
Either 7, 8.1, or 10.

Cazzer50

Reputable
Jun 30, 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts