[SOLVED] GPU drops to 0% for no reason

msalcedorivas

Commendable
Jan 5, 2019
Hi. I recenty got an old laptop:

Intel i7-2630QM 2.00ghz
8gb RAM
NVIDIA GT555m

and I've been gaming on it the past month, but for some reason in games that I know it should be able to handle there are constant drop of the GPU usage to 0% for 1 to 3 seconds. I dont know why this happens, because at least in one of the games I checked carefully (Paladins) the usage is always around 60%, not 100% or even close, but this still happens and the graphics are at max (when I drop them to minimun still happens, but less often, like one every 30sec).

I also checked another game (Black Ops 3) the GPU usage is 99% all the time and minimun graphics but the are no drops ever, which left me in more confusion.

The temperature of the GPU is also constant at 65º, 74º on BO3, so I dont think that's the cause either

I can't know for sure if it is a bottleneck or a overheating problem, but I don't think that is, because not the gpu or cpu gets to 100% any of the problematic games, and the temperatures never get to something higher than 74º on the GPU and the CPU is even less.

Solution
Some games are just poorly utilized. If you're doing fine in other applications I wouldn't worry about it. Another side note is not all games will utilize GPU or CPU to 100%, regardless if you're getting low frames.

Andy11466

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2013
Some games are just poorly utilized. If you're doing fine in other applications I wouldn't worry about it. Another side note is not all games will utilize GPU or CPU to 100%, regardless if you're getting low frames.

Solution