GPU DVI not detected by Monitor, reconnecting to Mobo works

Alex Bilny

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I recently built a new PC. Upon putting in the GPU, I realized the slot was bent, meaning the GPU was straight, but putting it in the slot, the GPU would be at a slight angle. (I didn't forcefully put it in, it was already like that sadly.) However, it all worked. It was the best moment of the year so far. I played CSGO on 120 fps on Max setting. Everything worked correctly is what I'm getting at. I decided to redo the power connections/ cables, so I turned off my computer by shutting down followed by removing the plug, disconnecting the monitor and the computer's power, was done safe and made sure nothing was wrong.
As soon as I reorganized everything, and turned on the computer, there was black screen on my monitor. Removing the DVI cable and plugging it to the Mobo and it works, graphic card isn't detected in Device Manager, yet the fans are going on the GPU. Also no burns on the GPU or anything, gold connector on the GPU seem completely fine.
Bios also seem in order as PCI-e is (I believe that what is it, since I've seen it 30 mins ago)
Also tried reconnecting and disconnecting the GPU to find a sweet spot so it may work, and no cookie.
I'm unable to test this GPU on any other computer (due to GPU'S advance age) or any other GPU on the motherboard (since all other GPU's are old)
And yes The 6+2 and 6 pin port is connected to the GPU
Ill be updating Drivers as a last hope.
Mobo's DVI connection works on any monitor or Tv, and the the GPU's DVI doesnt work.
I also tried HDMI, Mobo's HDMI works, while GPU doesnt. Tried turning the Monitor off and on to find a detection
plskillme etc. glhf
Hoping for an answer. Sorry for any confusion.
The names of everything
Gigabyte Radeon R9 290 Windforce 3x 947MHZ 4GB 5.0GHZ GDDR5 2xDVI HDMI DisplayPo
Corsair CX Series CX600M 600W ATX 12V 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply
ASRock H97 PRO4 LGA1150 1XPCIE3.0X16 3XPCIEX1 2XPCI Motherboard
Monitor Syncmaster P2350 Samsung

Sig2525

Reputable
Sep 19, 2014
so if you plug in to the gpu the screen goes blank? but if you plugin to the motherboard it works?..

hmm try re-seating your ram or change ram slots. if you have dual ram just plug in the 1st ram and see if it works, then just add the 2nd ram.

Buryourdead

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I literally am having the same problem. I have a r9 290 4gb, made by HIS. Think I have the same motherboard too.

My GPU worked like a charm for 2 days. Probably 8 hours of graphic intense games. Then when my screen went to sleep, tried it in the morning and nothing. No signal, fans still work on it. Bios is set right. No detect in the device manager either. I tried to install new drivers but since AMD CCC can't detect any hardware it won't install correctly.(my experience anyway).

I posted earlier today and apparently the solution is to return it. Hoping there's an easier fix but the future doesn't look to bright.

Just wantes to let you know you're not alone!

Alex Bilny1

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015

Return the motherboard or GPU?
I was also trying the drivers, so far no hope as they won't install
I'll re sit the ram tomorrow as a 5:30 wake up call is coming
I'll keep this thread for more posting until a better solution comes up, until then, I'll watch over silently

Buryourdead

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I just got home from work. Re set my Ram and still no change. Check all cables, checked the PCI bus and the connector on the card. Everything seems fine. Card just refuses to work.

Alex Bilny1

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
I am convinced that it is the pci-e slot of the motherboard, not the graphic card, in your case it may be different.
I'll be getting into contact with an old friend who may be able to test it out. Overall it looks like I'll be taking a break till I replace one of the parts.

Buryourdead

Reputable
Jan 18, 2015
Im hoping its the GPU in my case because Im sending it back tomorrow. If not then I will get a new motherboard. I got them at different times and have already had my GPU for 2 weeks so I want to send it in sooner than later. Though searching here and other places black screening and going dead seems to be a common problem with R9 290 chipsets.