Question GPU Dying? Or Bottleneck?

Jul 16, 2019
Recently, I've been experiencing problems playing Rainbow Six Siege. The game would stutter and frames would drop from 160+ down to 100-120 ish sometimes(usually happens every game or every other) and the red/yellow squares symbols in-game would popup and flash. I have my game settings at Competitive setting, which is everything on LOW except Texture Filtering, LOD Quality, and T-AA 100/100(sometimes off)

My PC specs:
Ryzen 7 1700(3.2ghz)
EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition 8gb ACX3.0
16gb ram 2400mhz
2TB hybrid HD
240gb SDD
EVGA SuperNova B2 Bronze 850w

My GPU is OCed, +125 C and +350 M and +0 voltage. My GPU temp never goes up over 80 degrees and I have the fan set to go 100% speed once 70 degree hits. With my CPU, I have it OCed to 3.7 and temp never goes over 40 degrees(I have NZXT liquid cooling)

Whenever Im in the middle of the game, my GPU and CPU % Usage would be balanced. Usually 80% - 80%. Could this be the problem? I thought that GPU's are supposed to be higher and should be at 90%+ or 99%? What could the problem be? Could it be that my GPU is dying or? Any suggestion/tips?

I've reinstalled the game, I've reinstalled my drivers, I've updated my BIOS, and I've updated Windows.
I've tried messing with NVIDIA control panel and game settings, and it still does it no matter what settings.

Edit: I have a 144hz FreeSync monitor but I have the FreeSync turned off, same with Nvidia's "GSync Compatible" option in NVIDIA control panel

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2019
I swapped out my EVGA GTX 1070(OCed) and tried my friends brand new ASUS 1070(Stock) and I was getting the same amount of FPS even though mine was OCed and his wasn't. Thought this info might be useful.

*yes, I uninstalled my drivers before removing GPU and installed it after putting my friends GPU

I would first remove all overclocks, as things might have become unstable. If the gpu is not at 100% it means either the cpu is not fast enough to feed it, or your using such low settings that its not really putting it under load. If you load up an app like Furmark, the gpu should hit 100%, if it doesnt then maybe you have some hardware issue. It could just be an update to the game itself that has now caused you to get lower performance.

Jul 16, 2019
I would first remove all overclocks, as things might have become unstable. If the gpu is not at 100% it means either the cpu is not fast enough to feed it, or your using such low settings that its not really putting it under load. If you load up an app like Furmark, the gpu should hit 100%, if it doesnt then maybe you have some hardware issue. It could just be an update to the game itself that has now caused you to get lower performance.

I reset all overclocks and played, problem still occurs. I've ran UserBenchMark and Heaven and GPU hits 97-99% with cpu only at 20%-30%. Also did not get any errors from UserBenchMark about my GPU.

If it's a game problem, reinstalling the game wouldn't fix it correct? Because I've already reinstalled the game twice and verified the integrity game files a bunch of times

If it's a game problem, reinstalling the game wouldn't fix it correct? Because I've already reinstalled the game twice and verified the integrity game files a bunch of times
no im just saying it might be a recent update of the game. before the update you might have had higher fps. Either that or a driver update. Also, have you tried turning on freesync? this should give smoother gameplay regardless of fps.

Jul 16, 2019
I did more troubleshooting and research last night, seems like the problem wasn't my GPU. I ran further benchmarks and was getting great results. The GPU was reaching 100% load/usage and 20-30% CPU during benchmarks.

What I did last night was I changed my Memory speed from 2133mhz to 3200mhz because somehow the 2133mhz profile was loaded somehow.
I also re-overclocked my CPU and GPU: CPU stable 3.7ghz with 1.26v, and GPU stable at +125 core and +300 memory.

Ever since I made these changes, I gained PLENTY of FPS in Rainbow Six Siege, BUT the red/yellow flashing layered square icons still occurs. Could internet lag/freeze cause the fps to jump down by 30-40fps?