Question Gpu dying?

Jul 28, 2021
So Iv recently built a PC and am having issues with what I believe to be the gpu. My pc is used for strictly gaming and nothing else.

My build
Gpu- 6700xt nitro
cpu- 5800x
Ram- 32gb 3200mhz
Psu- 750w gold
MoBo- asus tuf pro x570

in the 3 months Iv had my 6700xt Iv encountered what I’d describe as a gray/black screen flickering on a cold boot. Only thing I could do when this happen was hold the power button on the pc and restart it. So far the 3 times it’s happen a restart fixed the issue. It happen probably the first week, haven’t had the issue for roughly 2 months then happen twice in about a 2 week time period. Iv never encountered the issue while gaming with roughly 200+ hours on the gpu so far.

thought it might have been a driver issue but it occurred on an older and new driver.

the VGA light indicator on my MoBo is not lighting up.

What Iv done so far- not much, I reseated the gpu, checked the pcie connections to the gpu and power supply, lastly I’m using a different display port on the gpu for the DP cable to see if it happens again. Other then that the last thing I can think of is getting a new display port cable.

first time posting on here just wanted to see if I could get some feedback or help before I get a new display port cable or decide maybe I should RMA.

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Hello!
I think you should try a new DisplayPort cable before an RMA. Try and get one for a bit from a friend or a family member before purchasing the new one and see if the issue persists. It could also be a dying monitor. Also could be a bad GPU sag - that also can result in some flickering, even artifacts.
In my experience - if a GPU starts displaying any display glitches it would happen when it's under load and most likely crash the system. Since you have gamed on it I wouldn't say it's the GPU itself or the PSU.

Jul 28, 2021
Hello!
I think you should try a new DisplayPort cable before an RMA. Try and get one for a bit from a friend or a family member before purchasing the new one and see if the issue persists. It could also be a dying monitor. Also could be a bad GPU sag - that also can result in some flickering, even artifacts.
In my experience - if a GPU starts displaying any display glitches it would happen when it's under load and most likely crash the system. Since you have gamed on it I wouldn't say it's the GPU itself or the PSU.
Thanks for the reply, yeah I’m gonna try a new display port cable. I also noticed that after each of the times it has happen, my fan curve and other settings in adrenaline software revert back to factory/default. I also just stick to the factoy OC so the card runs around 2600mhz.
Not sure if it’s related but after each incident windows had an update on the restart. Idk if that would revert the adrenaline software though.

as for my monitor, i have to turn it on before I boot up the pc or the vga light will stay on the MoBo. If the pc is booted up before the monitor is on I won’t get a display.

I will try a new DP cable though and on a different DP on the gpu itself (card has 3 total).

SlavfromBulgaria

Commendable
Apr 29, 2020
Thanks for the reply, yeah I’m gonna try a new display port cable. I also noticed that after each of the times it has happen, my fan curve and other settings in adrenaline software revert back to factory/default. I also just stick to the factoy OC so the card runs around 2600mhz.
Not sure if it’s related but after each incident windows had an update on the restart. Idk if that would revert the adrenaline software though.

as for my monitor, i have to turn it on before I boot up the pc or the vga light will stay on the MoBo. If the pc is booted up before the monitor is on I won’t get a display.

I will try a new DP cable though and on a different DP on the gpu itself (card has 3 total).
Usually Adrenaline software reverts settings after a crash with anything display related - even your monitor.

TRENDING THREADS