[SOLVED] GPU Enclosure Project Components Questions

jblackmd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2018
My system:

i7 4790/32 gig RAM/Gigabyte z97X Gaming 5/1 TB SSD/2 Tb SSD/RTX 3090/GTX 1080 Ti/Coolermaster Haf X/1200W PSU

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 2950X/128 gig RAM/ASRock Fatal1ty X399 Professional Gaming /1 Tb SSD/2 TB SSD/RTX 2080 Ti x 3,Thermaltake View 71 TG Full Tower Case/1600W PSU

I want to build an external enclosure that will hold additional GPU's . Would ideally like to put it through the TR. I have many spare parts: case, fans, PSU, GPU's. So the question is where to get the interface. I found this: https://www.newegg.com/p/17Z-00PR-0...pci-e_1x expansion-_-9SIAKFD9Z01081-_-Product

Would that work? If not, any help on the components I need would be appreciated.

Solution
That looks like garbage...

1X PCIe, to a USB cable (no control chips, so they are just using it for the wires), to 4 x16 slots. So that is going to try and interface all those slots through a single 1x. Not intended for anything high bandwidth. Also doesn't make it external, so not ideal unless you want to a cable just running out an expansion slot.

I've seen better expansion options out there, even on ebay, for less money...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

1X PCIe, to a USB cable (no control chips, so they are just using it for the wires), to 4 x16 slots. So that is going to try and interface all those slots through a single 1x. Not intended for anything high bandwidth. Also doesn't make it external, so not ideal unless you want to a cable just running out an expansion slot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2536581869...ktrFUUBOlyZZVFjG-3MbtzFpHbRGslv8aAnf3EALw_wcB

I would shop around some more.

Solution

jblackmd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2018

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2536581869...ktrFUUBOlyZZVFjG-3MbtzFpHbRGslv8aAnf3EALw_wcB

I would shop around some more.

So, that would work? Looks good to me.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
That one is still internal, but as you can see it does appear to have some sort of control chips, and power rails for each PCIe slot. So better.

On the other hand, it is $15 on ebay...so those images may not be real. Or, just offering only the card and not the expansion slots? I think that is the case.

However, that product probably does exist, just a matter of finding someone selling it. I would start looking into bitcoin and, more recently, Ethereum mining forums. They can probably point you in the right direction for hooking up a lot of cards to a system.

A few years ago it was really easy to find this stuff, but the whole GPU mining thing really slowed down. Only this latest round of new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD make it look attractive until the task is made more difficult.

jblackmd

Honorable
Mar 20, 2018
That one is still internal, but as you can see it does appear to have some sort of control chips, and power rails for each PCIe slot. So better.

On the other hand, it is $15 on ebay...so those images may not be real. Or, just offering only the card and not the expansion slots? I think that is the case.

However, that product probably does exist, just a matter of finding someone selling it. I would start looking into bitcoin and, more recently, Ethereum mining forums. They can probably point you in the right direction for hooking up a lot of cards to a system.

A few years ago it was really easy to find this stuff, but the whole GPU mining thing really slowed down. Only this latest round of new GPUs from Nvidia and AMD make it look attractive until the task is made more difficult.

for $15 its worth seeing what it is. Yeah, I just happened across the bitcoin thing. Looks like they use the set up I need . I have no idea what mining is, and whether it uses the same resources as rendering from the standpoint of the system demands. Thank you.