Question GPU Erratic performance after laptop repaste

Jan 17, 2021
Hello,

I am new here, so apologies if this should actually go in the laptop section, but I do think it is specific to the GPU so I am starting here.

I have an Acer Predator 500 with RTX 2080 Max-Q (515-51). After experiencing thermal issues with the CPU for the past few months, I disassebled the laptop and re-pasted the CPU and GPU (used Thermal grizzly).

Since doing so, my thermals now look much better, but graphical performance has totally tanked, with games running between 10 and 30 FPS. The GPU temperature is usually between 60-80 degrees celcius, so I don't think it's a throttling issue? I've reinstalled drivers but it hasn't helped. In Task Manager, everything seems to be in normal limits except for the GPU, which is running at 100% utilization.

To demonstrate the performance I am seeing, I have a screenshot from AC Oddyssey that shows the FPS behavior, which looks it switching between two values rather than moving smoothly, which is really odd (almost looks like something is switching on/off?)

Anyway, it's clear I messed something up when dissasembling the laptop, but I am curious if anyone's seen anything like this before, because right now I have no idea what to look for if I open it up again 😬

Thanks for any suggestions!

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS