Question GPU error 43 but still outputting a signal, no driver update seems to work

antondemeyer19

Reputable
Sep 8, 2017
Hello everyone,

I am asking for some technical issue on behalf of a friend of mine. I've been trying to help as best I could, but I don't know anymore what to try!

So my friend had been playing Anno 1800 for a while without a problem, but when starting up his pc this morning, he noticed windows doing some updates, even though he shut his pc off last night without having done any noticable updates. He then launches the game which works for about 15 minutes, after which the pc crashes and reboots. After the reboot the pc's resolution is changed to 1600x1200 (instead of the normal 1920x1080). In the device manager there is an error symbol next to the GPU, indicating an "error 43". I think the video signal is now coming from the onboard graphics on the CPU, which would explain the difference in resolution.

So far we have tried to reinstall any graphics drivers and disabling the gpu alltogether, then enabling it again. But nothing has worked up until now. The card is still recognised in the device manager list (with the right name), but when launching a game it defaults to the onboard graphics.
I think the card itself is not broken, as the video signal is still coming from the hdmi cable plugged into the gpu.

This problem goes above my limited knowledge on computer issues, so if anyone has some advice, it would be immensely appreciated !!
thanks in advance !!