News GPU Face Off: GeForce RTX 3070 vs Radeon RX 6700 XT

davidgirgis

Honorable
Feb 24, 2016
Typo:
Price and availability end up being more important than any other factory, however, and unfortunately neither GPU ranks very well in those respects.
Should be:
Price and availability end up being more important than any other factor, however, and unfortunately neither GPU ranks very well in those respects.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
I liked the article but it should of waited to include the curb stomp Nvidea raytracing will do to this amd card for a real 1v1. Nobody is playing with raytracing off if you have the option to have it on, after playing with RT in it's full glory I just can not turn back personally it's night and day now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Nobody is playing with raytracing off if you have the option to have it on,
First person shooters? Racing? Other high fps titles?
Performance hit too high? Turn on DLSS - that's the point of it - but image quality takes a hit too if one isn't at least on 1440p, or doesn't like to stand around an just look at scenery.
Nvidia has it limited to AAA and other future AAA titles.

I don't have a very big library, and I know I don't speak for everyone, but it's not all that appealing when only a handful of my 50+ games support it, and to varying degrees of detail.
The technology is for sure interesting, but it's just not there yet, and will take quite some time for 'everyone' to adopt it at the pace Nvidia is going at.

RagedAPE

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2014
Those are competitive games, it goes without saying not to have raytracing on. I just snapped up control ultimate edition for £13.99 on sale atm ray tracing time!

Nobody is playing with raytracing off if you have the option to have it on,

I have it set to off in Modern Warefare and Cold War with my 3080 and 3700x while running 1440p. Even at its lowest settings it wipes about a 1/4 off the FPS and I notice that in game. It also really doesn’t add that much to the multiplayer visuals, I’m not sitting there comparing screenshots side by side.

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
I have it set to off in Modern Warefare and Cold War with my 3080 and 3700x while running 1440p. Even at its lowest settings it wipes about a 1/4 off the FPS and I notice that in game. It also really doesn’t add that much to the multiplayer visuals, I’m not sitting there comparing screenshots side by side.
Yeah, i'm in the same boat as you. For me RT is more of a "ooh that looks nice" but doesn't add to the game itself. It's the same with motion blur or bloom when Microsoft started using that feature in Microsoft Flight Simulator X back in 2006. I turn both off and i've seen screenshots of RT in games and my reaction is, meh. It doesn't add to the game.

HOWEVER, that's just me, others might put a lot more importance on RT and other visual effects.

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Don't most competitive gamers play at low/lower graphics settings anyways? I know they don't seem to for things that are broadcasted, but if that's happening, they can have as beefy a system as can be made. :)

For the "no winners" part, I'm afraid there is a winner, which is the whole problem. The scalpers. You know how that Reddit group recently slaughtered part of Wall Street in the shorting market? It'll never happen because of mining, but it would be so sweet if people just agreed to ignore scalpers. The problem would be gone almost instantly, because the scalpers would go broke! No buying off eBay unless it's below MSRP + tax when you include eBay shipping! One can dream.

On the topic of GPU manufacturers promoting games. Why has this not been regulated into oblivion? These 2 companies are using money to either rewarding or punishing customers for their choice in card. That shouldn't even be allowed. :(

Co BIY

Splendid
On the topic of GPU manufacturers promoting games. Why has this not been regulated into oblivion? These 2 companies are using money to either rewarding or punishing customers for their choice in card. That shouldn't even be allowed. :(

No cross marketing anywhere?

How will I find out about the new Marvel Superhero movie if I can't get a movie themed burger meal.

How about Console exclusive games?

Darkmatterx

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2003
Console exclusive games are actually a good argument. Dammit! lol

I would say though, that since the game company isn't owned by either AMD or Nvidia, and the tuning directly involves telling the gaming company things that they don't tell other gaming companies, it's different. In the case of exclusives, it's the game company, or whoever owns them making that call. The best example of a pseudo-grey area is of course, MS and Halo, since MS own both. I suppose it's still different since they do own both.

For cross marketing, I'd argue that unless the marketing makes the competitions burger taste worse, it isn't really apples to apples. :)

Just my 2c, which, in Canada, is worth 0, since we got rid of the penny. lol :)

filipberlin36

Reputable
Aug 28, 2017
Only price and availability will decide and I think I did read that AMD's card are worse (maybe "especially" for mining? Like -10% worse at gaming but -23% in mining, they have slower but more RAM compared to 3080 or 3070, and even 3700 XT is equal to 3060, maybe there was too much normal GD6 RAM and Nvidia thought its a nice reason to let some people spend more for the card even after mining and shortage factor reduced price, until than usual gddr6 will be nothing special I guess),

Have a question, just tried to look it the other side about AMD and income... I searched for revenue/income of "AMD Graphics". I found these 2 things:

AMD's computing and graphics segments generated revenues of 1.96 billion U.S. dollars in the fourth quarter of 2020, an increase from the 1.67 billion U.S. dollars in revenue that the company recorded for this segment in the previous quarter.(27.01.2021)

It makes sense for me, 4th Quarter (October, November and December?) they had a revenue of 1.96 billion (so annualized on that it would have been 4 * 1.96?)"Computing and Graphics" you think includes CPU's ?!

Than something heavy:
Revenue growth for the 2019 fiscal year, at $6.73 billion, was up 4%. Revenue from AMD's Computing and Graphics segment, including graphics cards and PC chips, totaled $1.66 billion, up almost 69% year over year and over the $1.50 billion consensus among analysts surveyed by FactSet.(28.01.2020)

I just take the case that 2019 fiscal year is also calendar year for AMD... so if I got it right whole AMD made 6.73 billion in 2019 FY, "only" 4% up from 2018? I mean okay in 2018 there was Zen+ Release and before that maybe selling out of Zen and later Zen+ selling out and 3000 Series release in 2019. But from that 6.73 billion for the whole year only 1.66 billion was from "Computing and Graphics" which alone in Q4 2020 made 1.96 billion?! I mean this would be just 0.415 billion/Quarter, I mean for the GPU Market I would believe it without any real doubt, dunno when 5700 and down came, but the performance was much further away from high-end than the 6900XT which was/is a bit weaker 3080 according to most benchmarks I saw, but we know except VRAM the 3090's largest "advantage" over the 3080 is the MSRP....

I mean if they started to deliver most of the PS5 and Xbox parts in Q4 2020 and the PC launches, 18th Nov 2020 for the 6800's and 8th December for the 6900 and 18th March 2021 for the 5700, so all the payments for first deliveries and following deliveries started I think even earlier by sea, but can this be correct: 1.66 billion for whole 2019, which already includes an 69% up compared with 2018 vs. a so strong Quarter? I think not everyone @ AMD or Nvidia is happy that they have to release numbers, like that people in the US which made a class action against Nvidia because Nvidia listed the total income for their GTX RTX...and other cards sold in that report as "Gaming" income, they are share or stockholders and maybe small ones which like gaming or just try to make some money, because the problem they have is, that this money is not from "Gaming"-Sector and not a single world is mentioned about Mining or a crypto-currency but they say everyone knows that miners and to a much smaller amount by value scalpers bought the cards immediately, driving up profits maybe, but I don't know if this lawsuit makes sense, but I mean its in the US... over 15 years ago a woman got a 7 digit amount because they gave her hot coffee @ McDonalds, and there are such "important" things which see an court in the US like that one and the amount is 8 and 9 digit... like our "friends", they want Nvidia to pay 1 Billion, dont know if all/most to them or just to pay it so that they introduce the mining cards like they do now, but as you can "hack" their protection with a 6€/US-$ (maybe a bit more in US-$?!) cable-adapter + shipping-costs and a few seconds and use mining-cards for gaming I think? Or use every card the way you wish... but at least they can say "we tried it, we even wrote a new bios already included in all 3060 cards and cards produced in the future, older cards need an upgrade only",

a 1000$ before taxes card like the 6900XT (The US MSRP is always before taxes or? Because we have the VAT here in Europe added, can be "normal" like in Germany with 19% now again or even a little bit lower, but in most cases ~20-21% but also as bad as 27% like in Hungary and maybe during Corona some other countries increased or will increase when the effects of corona will be better because of a vaccine but the cash is very low :X Countries like Poland and to a smaller degree Czechs will feel the effect that like a quarter of their population maybe stopped or heavily reduced smoking, some maybe really will change to cheaper variants as black market is difficult and also Kaliningrad ones are bad quality, and second is the fuel, alone the fuel the tourists used to get cigarettes, than to get their car filled and on the way ofc you already use a lot fuel for that from Berlin, China really will come out much stronger compared to the EU/US than before... when is the point reached where China will get too expensive? I mean somehow their nationwide average wage is increasing for 3 decades or so more or less slowly and some neighbors with also a huge workforce are close,

Central or South-America is absolutely no option for that "area" and a few "safe havens" in Africa with a connection to coasts leading to Suez or Mediterranean?! I mean its the safety the "Goverment" in China offers? the dirty cheap coal electricity now step by step replaced with green? I mean if people start buying E-Vehicles in China in the millions (I think incl. commercial vehicles its the largest E-Vehicle market in the world, just unsure about prices/value), oh I forgot about India? India is poor compared to China, direct neighbors offer worlds poorest workers outside of africa which could do easy work, its closer to Europe/Middle East/Africa a bit from the West-Coast, or to China and the countries near China and to the US West-Coast, about East-Coast I'm not sure if Suez is cheaper or a West-Coast via USA transport by road/train or even split up into largest Panamax-Ships and bring it to the Gulf of Mexico or up to New York or further to Canada...

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Nvidia is clearly the better choice due to 2 reasons:

1. DLSS... more and more games are supporting DLSS. However, we have not seen anything on AMD side. There is this Fidelity FX which no games support right now.

2. Ray traying. AMD implementation is clearly inferior compared to Nvidia.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
Nvidia is clearly the better choice due to 2 reasons:

1. DLSS... more and more games are supporting DLSS. However, we have not seen anything on AMD side. There is this Fidelity FX which no games support right now.

2. Ray traying. AMD implementation is clearly inferior compared to Nvidia.

As an AMD fanboy I would have to agree. I was expecting this to be a more uneven matchup.

As an AMD fanboy I would have to agree. I was expecting this to be a more uneven matchup.
That's the performance and features / tech sections, which both went to Nvidia. Some will put much more weight on a single category of course, but Nvidia ultimately comes out ahead. But supply and pricing are still huge problems, and they're not likely to correct any time soon.

Reactions: RagedAPE

John Hogan

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
Hey thanks for the article and hello from July 2021, 4 months later. I thought you covered things well and that the 3 vs 4 overall score was well reasoned. Two comments.

1. I think it would have been beneficial to separate the ray tracing vs non scores. We're only on the cusp of this even though it seems like a permanent improvement that will flow through over time. It's beautiful but mostly still a "nice to have" feature. The AMD rates better, perhaps basically even, based on the current tech. And the 3070, while significantly better, doesn't offer a full ray tracing experience at the resolutions people may want to run having spent so much on the card. I'd always want it if possible, but for most games right now it's not doing much.

2. I feel like you didn't talk enough about the likely/potential lifespan situation with both of these cards however. We can't accurately know of course but other reviewers have noted that AMD cards tend to age better and to significantly improve over a number of years relative to the similar nVidia card. Given the VRAM differences in this generation, if that pattern is seen again, it might in fact be stronger as the trend to higher res gaming continues. And of course we now have the AMD take on DLSS tech, perhaps skewing things again while giving plebs like me with 900 and 1000 series nvidia cards something to play with.