GPU Failed Detection

Nov 10, 2018
Hey guys this is my first PC Build and I’m sad to say that when I turned it on everything powered up but nothing came up on my monitor. All of my parts are new. My MSI B350 Tomahawk Motherboard is compatabile with my GPU which is a PowerColor Red Dragon Radeon RX Vega 56 8GBHBM2 and I have checked its compatability through PCpartspicker. When I turn on my PC the VGA and GPU LED’s light up on my motherboard indicating that my GPU isn’t being detected or is failing. I have taken it out and and plugging it back into the motherboard but it shows the same reaults. If anyone replies I really appreciate it but I have to work and I won’t be back home until around 8:30 pm central time. Thanks!

racksmith101

Respectable
Are you running a 2000 series ryzen CPU? If so the mobo will need a bios update before you can use that CPU. If your using a series 1 CPU that will rule out one thing, 2nd have you got the pcie connector from your psu plugged into your graphics card?

racksmith101

Respectable
You need a series 1 ryzen chip to be able to boot into the bios (AMD will loan you one as a bootkit). You need to goto the motherboard manufacturers website and download the latest bios to a usb drive , boot to bios with the usb in and find the flash bios instructions on one of the bios pages, clear your CMOS after its reflashed. Your local pc shop can do it for you usually for a small fee.

Nov 10, 2018
Okay cool. Even though it will cost me a little more money I will probably take it to a PC store nearby because that seems to be the easiest option at this point. Thanks for the help racksmith101 you have been a big help and I will let you know how it turns out.

Nov 10, 2018
So I had a friend of mine come over to take a look at my pc before I was going to take it into a pc repair store in my local area and it took us about an hour and a half to figure out that my graphics card had to have the 6 pin and 8 pin input plugged into from the PCU. No wonder my Mobo wasnt able to detect it. The card requires both of the inputs to be plugged in because it takes that much power. It makes sense that it would light up after having the 6 pin plugged in but it needed the 8 pin as well to fully work. So it was an easy fix and and It didnt require a BIOS update and proved that the MSI B350 Tomahawk Mobo is compatable with the Ryzen 5 2600 CPU.