Question GPU failed the stress test ?

Jul 6, 2024
Hey everyone, i've been having a problem for months now and can't find a proper solution so i decided to take your opinions on it.

My PC goes black screen while i'm playing any kind of modern game, both monitors go black, sound goes off and then sound comes back after a second, i can use my keyboard mouse mic etc. but can't see anything on the screen until i restart.

I did almost everything related to windows and settings so it's probably a hardware problem. i tried this gpu stress test from Matthew-x83 and it happened again. do you think it's PSU or GPU related ? it only happens in some games like i experience it in modern WoW but not in classic wow. when i check HWMonitor i see that hotspot reaches 100C but the average heat is at 80s when that happens. i don't have a replacement GPU or PSU so i have to buy one , if anyone has a suggestion that'd save me from wasting money i'd appreciate it.
I saw these in the eventlogger:

• "Power Efficiency Diagnostic Logger" session issue
  • LSA package is not signed as expected
  • The Secure Boot update failed to update a Secure Boot variable with error
  • atkexComSvc.exe errors (even tho i removed most asus apps except tweak)
my specs are
MB: MSI B450 A PRO-MAX
GPU: ASUS DUAL 3070
CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
PSU: 650W Bronze
RAM: 32 GB 3200mhz ddr4

thank you in advance

Is the ambient temperature in your room high?

What case do you have and what is the airflow configuration?

Do the video card fans spin at maximum when this happens?

Preliminarily speaking it sounds like a power situation, but it could even be power delivery on the video card itself getting too hot. The GPU hotspot should generally not be getting to 100C and running in the 80s is pretty hot for those even with the smaller cooler on the dual.

Reactions: frostfear
Jul 6, 2024
Is the ambient temperature in your room high?
yes, but it happens at night too
Do the video card fans spin at maximum when this happens?
yes, they suddenly go max power after that reset thing
you need to include the make & model.

thermaltake - Smart BX1 650W​

PS-SPD-0650NNFABx-1

80 PLUS Bronze certified non-modular PSU with Hydraulic Bearing fan.

i should also add that i bought this PSU with my case in 2016.

it's either GPU cuts the power after reaching a point or the power isn't enough. i checked the cables to see if they're burnt but they're fine. i don't think GPU gets that hot even when doing an online stress test tbh but i'm not sure. because i have to restart the PC i can't check if gpu shuts down after reaching to a high point but it's always hot whenthat happens (i touch it) & cools off when i restart and i see 40C after restart.

Last edited:
thermaltake - Smart BX1
this is a very low quality unit.

and considering that it's ~8 years old, it needs a replacement of something much better.

don't think GPU gets that hot even when doing an online stress test tbh but i'm not sure. because i have to restart the PC i can't check if gpu shuts down after reaching to a high point
HWinfo will log system data that can be checked after restart.

or just use an OSD showing live temperatures up until the crash.

Jul 6, 2024
just had a crash in Overwatch (which also happens a lot lately & says overwatch crashed in graphics driver, did all the necessary software stuff) pc doesn't go black screen when this happens so i could check the temp it's at 60.

i should replace the PSU first then if it's that bad but i'm not sure what would be enough, should i go for something like above 1000 ? any specific brands models can you recommend ? replacing GPU should be the last option. i also want to upgrade CPU and MB in upcoming months, so i need as much power as i can get but don't want to spend way more than i should either

i'm not sure what would be enough, should i go for something like above 1000 ?
RTX 3070 usually has a recommended minimum of 650-750w.

always keep in mind what you may be thinking about upgrading to in the future.
if going for a stronger card of the next generation, it may take up to 1000w.

browse what's available now and base your upgraded power supply's on the average necessary wattage for that range of card.

any specific brands models can you recommend ?
where would you be shopping and what is your budget?

you can always do more research into what makes a unit reliable and makes them a higher tiered option.
or just use sites like Tom's that has currently available threads/article based on these type of issues.

Jul 6, 2024
if the GPU is faulty i'd probably have to buy a new one and that'd be an upgrade to 4k or 5k series of NVIDIA (if it comes out this year) so i should go for 1000w at least,
i don't have a specific budget limit but i usually go for optimal performance stuff over the best one out there, i'll start with checking Tom's articles first. i think this should be it until i buy and test the new PSU,
thanks for all the help

This is a slippery slope when related to PSU's. The PSU is the heart of your PC, and is practically the most important component.

It's not just about wattage. It's more about quality. Any really good PSU wil have a 7-10 year warranty, be Gold or Platinum rated, and from a reputable brand. Corsair RMx/RMe/RMi/AXi/HXi. MSI MAG Atx 3.0 850-1000w, Seasoniv Focus GX ATX 3, Superflower Leadex Vii XG, among others.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2024
one last question here , can PSU problems cause GPU overheating ? it overheats, turns off and when i restart pc it's at 60C which isn't that much... it just happened again and really annoying, i will get a 1kw corsair with gold or plat rated ,have to check the prices and just want to fix this ...

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
i will get a 1kw corsair with gold or plat rated
the energy efficiency rating(bronze, silver, gold, platinum, etc) doesn't always reflect overall quality at all.

there are many units out there that can even be dangerous to use but claim a Gold\Platinum\Titanium rating.
while there are also Bronze\Silver rated units that are much higher quality.

you may also have a v1 model that's an excellent option, then a couple years later v2 comes out and isn't even half the quality of the original or vice versa.

you really need to do the research related to each individual unit you look into buying.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2024
Wondering have you checked the the card for dust. If the heat sink is blocked with a layer of dust and hair than it make since why some games work fine and those that are more demanding play havoc.

I'm not ruling out power supply but I would give the card a hard look with a flash light to see if it needs cleaning.
thanks for the suggestion, i just did check and there's no dust. i also switched from 1 PCI cable to 2 instead of using that extra part for 2nd pin or whatever it's called. GPU power usage wasn't going above 190W (max) before and now it reached 205W(max). i also noticed that the heat goes up the moment i launch a high-end game so it doesn't build up over time. right now i'm on alt-tab and the temps are low :LOL: so weirdhonestly, it spiked to 80c(with 100c hotspot) and stayed there right after i logged in and now the game is running in the background but the temp is 60c, if i alt tab and go back it increases again.

While it's not the definitive list as there's only so much testing one can do this is a fantastic reference for PSUs; https://hwbusters.com/best_picks/best-atxv3-pcie5-ready-psus-picks-hardware-busters/
one last question here , can PSU problems cause GPU overheating ? it overheats, turns off and when i restart pc it's at 60C which isn't that much... it just happened again and really annoying, i will get a 1kw corsair with gold or plat rated ,have to check the prices and just want to fix this ...
No a PSU won't cause the video card to overheat.

Is the idle temperature 60C? because that seems quite high.

Many of the video card manufacturers have fan stop settings which typically end up causing higher idle, but those temperature locks are usually set between 50-55C so this shouldn't be that.

Jul 6, 2024
nope the idle temp is between 40-45 most of the time , 60 is what i see when i restart the PC after a crash. GPU fans peak at 3k rpm when the temp reaches 80C but it can't cool down while playing it's like the fans are useless. it immediately cools down when i alt tab or close the game .

i will check that article now thanks

the energy efficiency rating(bronze, silver, gold, platinum, etc) doesn't always reflect overall quality at all.

there are many units out there that can even be dangerous to use but claim a Gold\Platinum\Titanium rating.
while there are also Bronze\Silver rated units that are much higher quality.

you may also have a v1 model that's an excellent option, then a couple years later v2 comes out and isn't even half the quality of the original or vice versa.

you really need to do the research related to each individual unit you look into buying.
Yes, of course. Hence the suggestions for quality units with top notch components rather than the Gold/Platinum rating specifically.

Ralston18

Titan
Regarding:

"it has one fan that it came with and i also took off the side panels so there is airflow now"

That is open air which is not necessarily the same as airflow.

Air must flow across warm/hot components to carry away the heat. With the case opened as such the airflow directions and speeds are likely different and not as effective.

Per @JohnBonhamsGhost

"what case are you using and what sort of fan setup do you currently have installed?"

I suggest taking two or three photographs showing the inside of the case, fans, etc...

Post the photographs here via imgur (www.imgur.com).

Seeing the current cooling configuration may solicit other ideas and suggestions.

Jul 6, 2024
View: https://imgur.com/a/xeejZJj

you're right, it looks exactly like this(not my case just an exact copy i found on google), that fan in the back works properly , so is CPU & GPU fans but there aren't any addinational cooling parts other than that one fan on the case. i need to change the case as well because even my 3070 with 2 fans doesn't fit properly and if i upgrade it to next gen it might be an even bigger problem. for now i'm just trying to see what might be causing this. i've been using the same GPU for 2 years and only have issue for a few months now

View: https://imgur.com/a/xeejZJj

you're right, it looks exactly like this(not my case just an exact copy i found on google), that fan in the back works properly , so is CPU & GPU fans but there aren't any addinational cooling parts other than that one fan on the case. i need to change the case as well because even my 3070 with 2 fans doesn't fit properly and if i upgrade it to next gen it might be an even bigger problem. for now i'm just trying to see what might be causing this. i've been using the same GPU for 2 years and only have issue for a few months now

things to try

1 would be if your not using all the drive bays remove some to allow better airflow to fans

if you have space in the top for 2 fans use them as exaust.

if your using cpu stock cooler replace it.

other things to try is to use msi afterburner and make a custom fan curve for the gpu.

e,g when gpu gets to 75c have it ramp to 100 percent on fans.
personally i would repaste the gpu and get new thermal pads. but only do this if your comfortable opening the gpu.

also replace the aging psu as soon as possible. seasonic gold focus / asus rme series

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2024
things to try

1 would be if your not using all the drive bays remove some to allow better airflow to fans

if you have space in the top for 2 fans use them as exaust.

if your using cpu stock cooler replace it.

other things to try is to use msi afterburner and make a custom fan curve for the gpu.

e,g when gpu gets to 75c have it ramp to 100 percent on fans.
personally i would repaste the gpu and get new thermal pads. but only do this if your comfortable opening the gpu.

also replace the aging psu as soon as possible. seasonic gold focus / asus rme series
these are all very useful so thanks, i'll try them all but what i don't understand is if it was about case and placements or CPU's stock cooler it would happen sooner. i think i need to do the gpu paste thing , not sure how but i can learn how to do it :D i'll try to replace PSU this week.
thanks again

i think i need to do the gpu paste thing
how long have you had this card?

thermal pads can be difficult to replace because sometimes it is hard to find an acceptable replacement.
you need to know the specific thickness, size, and consistency.
specific paste can be difficult to replicate too.
you should contact the manufacturer and see what specific types of both they use if you plan on going for it.

what i don't understand is if it was about case and placements or CPU's stock cooler it would happen sooner
when the CPU or GPU isn't under any heavy load the temperature is much lower.
when they start reaching their top speeds the temperature can shoot up quickly, but it may take some time before the default thermal throttling and/or any crashing occurs.

one good way to test for insufficient airflow is to remove the side panel and set a portable fan blowing right into the side of the case.
if temperatures are drastically different then you know it's the lack of airflow in the case.