[SOLVED] Gpu fails to communicate with the motherboard during demanding tasks.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I think my GPU is malfunctioning.
Over the past year or so i have had problems with any high GPU demanding games crashing between 1 to 10 minutes into a session with different errors appearing. But usually related to the same thing. For example in Destiny this error appears
"BROCCOLI errors indicate there has been an issue detecting the player's GPU and are commonly caused by a driver crash.

To attempt to mitigate this error, players should always ensure that their Operating System and Graphic Drivers are up-to-date with the latest version."

I have tried a fresh windows install and several cleanups of GPU drivers and reinstalling them without any luck.
So i'm pretty sure that the GPU somehow is failing to communicate with the motherboard whenever it is put under a certain workload. I'm unable to try other slots in the motherboard because i got a huge fan taking up all the space, but i'm almost certain that it is a GPU problem and not a motherboard problem.

Any ideas before i replace it with a new GPU?
Any software to diagnose it and is it possible to repair it?

yKyZDT4.png

7KnfL45.png

An error from Apex Legends on high graphics.

Last edited:
Solution
I have been following this thread because it has me intrigued.

You have tried many things so I got some things to suggest.
You can almost rule out software problems if you do a clean install of windows maybe even in another HDD or SSD and having only that plugged to the system. If the problem still remains, it's hardware related (most probably).

To see if the GPU is faulty, try it in another system and see if it's problematic or not.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
update the bios to the latest non-beta?
I could try that. I don't remember ever updating BIOS on this motherboard.

Are you overclocking anything?

Make sure you have the latest Directx drivers installed.
I'm not overclocking anything no. Never had the need to.
I have previously tried to update Directx to the latest, but i will try again as there might have been a new update recently.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Still didn't work after following the latest stuff.

Updated BIOS (that was a lot of trouble) and i checked what directX version i'm running and it is currently on 12 which seems to be the latest and just ran a windows update just in case as well.

I also noticed small black square particles appearing on the screen in the game "Apex" right before the crash today when i tried to run the game again. This is rare but i can recall it happening once or twice in the past too.

Here is a CPUID log from when i tried to run Borderlands 3 now. There doesn't seem to be any extremly high temperatures atleast but maybe there is some data that i don't understand myself that could be useful. (i just used a pastebin. Let me know if you want it in any other ways)
https://pastebin.com/r7Rac6qP

Last edited:
Shouldn't matter. I have used different slots in the past (to keep extra heat from radiating up to the CPU) and haven't had an issue. Having said that, since you have 3 slots, and one is being blocked, you can still try the other available slot and see if there is any change. Just make sure it is running at least 8x for proper performance.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Shouldn't matter. I have used different slots in the past (to keep extra heat from radiating up to the CPU) and haven't had an issue. Having said that, since you have 3 slots, and one is being blocked, you can still try the other available slot and see if there is any change. Just make sure it is running at least 8x for proper performance.
I don't think there is physical space for any other slots. Would have to get a smaller PSU then probably.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
What does "I don't think so" mean? You don't have another computer? Something else? Specify please.

Also, what "smaller cpu fan" did you get?

And what are you using to measure temperatures in game? For your CPU specifically, most apps will not give you an accurate number.

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/amd-ryzen-7-have-a-temperature-20-degree-c-reporting-offset.html
It means that i don't own another desktop and i don't have any friends in the area able or willing to help me out with it.

I used CPUID to measure the temps yesterday and they seemed fine from what i saw.
I also just purchased a smaller cooler of the same brand: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-am4...d=1511537706&sr=8-19&keywords=am4+cpu+coolers

Please let me know if you need anything else. Been troubleshooting this too hard to just stop.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Ok, np. Do you have any dump files from blue screens you can upload and give us a link to? Or do you only get the error mentioned in your first post?
No bluescreens. Only game crashes when running on high graphics and a high resolution. No stutters or fps drop during the small amount of time that i'm able to play before the crashes.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Is it still multiple games? You mentioned Destiny, and Borderland 3 Anything else? Also, you said no blue screens, so when you have an error, what happens? Does it take you back to the desktop? Do you have to manually reboot?
Other games that i have tried: DOOM 2016, Yakuza 0, Battlefield 4, Apex Legends
When a game crashes it usually is a game freeze. Sometimes i also get an error (as showed up in the thread) but other times it just freezes and i have to end the task in task manager.

OK. Really sounds like a software/driver issue then. Hardware issue gives you a blue screen, at least at some point. Overheating COULD do it, but if you can restart and it plays fine, I doubt it. Where are you getting motherboard drivers? Can you send us a pic of your device manager with details of key components extended? Are you any yellow items showing? Also make sure you have selected "show hidden devices."

Also, and I apologize if you already mentioned this, but does the game run better on the second attempt, after failing the first time?

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
OK. Really sounds like a software/driver issue then. Hardware issue gives you a blue screen, at least at some point. Overheating COULD do it, but if you can restart and it plays fine, I doubt it. Where are you getting motherboard drivers? Can you send us a pic of your device manager with details of key components extended? Are you any yellow items showing? Also make sure you have selected "show hidden devices."

Also, and I apologize if you already mentioned this, but does the game run better on the second attempt, after failing the first time?
I would love for it to only be a driver issue or something. I grabbed the motherboard drivers from their official site: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/
But it is important to mention that i didn't have any new motherboard drivers when i first started this thread. I only updated them all after a suggestion from this thread but the problem didn't get fixed by that.
Here is some screens from Device Manager. Not really sure of what you would like to see besides these so again please let me know if you are not satisfied. (thanks for trying to help me)
View: https://i.imgur.com/hyRaM36.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/kzmZ6My.png

View: https://i.imgur.com/NV1Bt6h.png

Ok. Glad you are installing the right drivers. Two other thing I can think of right now:
1, update to BIOS 7403 (you said earlier you hadn't tried that). Some nice fixes throughout BIOS updates on your board.
2. If the BIOS update didn't help, do a fresh install with the latest drivers at the time of install.

Reactions: dotas1