[SOLVED] Gpu fails to communicate with the motherboard during demanding tasks.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I think my GPU is malfunctioning.
Over the past year or so i have had problems with any high GPU demanding games crashing between 1 to 10 minutes into a session with different errors appearing. But usually related to the same thing. For example in Destiny this error appears
"BROCCOLI errors indicate there has been an issue detecting the player's GPU and are commonly caused by a driver crash.

To attempt to mitigate this error, players should always ensure that their Operating System and Graphic Drivers are up-to-date with the latest version."

I have tried a fresh windows install and several cleanups of GPU drivers and reinstalling them without any luck.
So i'm pretty sure that the GPU somehow is failing to communicate with the motherboard whenever it is put under a certain workload. I'm unable to try other slots in the motherboard because i got a huge fan taking up all the space, but i'm almost certain that it is a GPU problem and not a motherboard problem.

Any ideas before i replace it with a new GPU?
Any software to diagnose it and is it possible to repair it?

yKyZDT4.png

7KnfL45.png

An error from Apex Legends on high graphics.

Last edited:
Solution
I have been following this thread because it has me intrigued.

You have tried many things so I got some things to suggest.
You can almost rule out software problems if you do a clean install of windows maybe even in another HDD or SSD and having only that plugged to the system. If the problem still remains, it's hardware related (most probably).

To see if the GPU is faulty, try it in another system and see if it's problematic or not.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Ok. Glad you are installing the right drivers. Two other thing I can think of right now:
1, update to BIOS 7403 (you said earlier you hadn't tried that). Some nice fixes throughout BIOS updates on your board.
2. If the BIOS update didn't help, do a fresh install with the latest drivers at the time of install.
You might have gotten me wrong. I updated BIOS after someone suggested it in this thread.
I'm currently setting up a fresh Ubuntu installation and i'm going to try to run some games there. (i was previously on windows 10)

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Tried running DOOM 2016 on Ubuntu today. FPS was fine and all on max settings but i still had the freezes. Only difference was that it eventually unfroze after 5 seconds. Still unplayable in my opinion sadly. Had some performance stats up that was built into doom and GPU numbers were jumping trough the roof during these moments.
I'm out of ideas boys.

You can almost rule out software problems if you do a clean install of windows maybe even in another HDD or SSD and having only that plugged to the system. If the problem still remains, it's hardware related (most probably).

To see if the GPU is faulty, try it in another system and see if it's problematic or not.

Solution

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
Ok. What are you using to check temperatures during gameplay? I might suggest CPUID HWMonitor unless you are using something else that keeps your highest temps on file. What CPU cooler are you using?
I use CPUID yeah and this is the cpu cooler https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-am4...d=1511537706&sr=8-19&keywords=am4+cpu+coolers

I didn't try to unplug my hdd and ssd not running OS yet but should that have any impact on performance if no files are used from those? I will give it a shot tho.

I use CPUID yeah and this is the cpu cooler https://www.amazon.co.uk/Noctua-am4...d=1511537706&sr=8-19&keywords=am4+cpu+coolers

I didn't try to unplug my hdd and ssd not running OS yet but should that have any impact on performance if no files are used from those? I will give it a shot tho.
If you do a clean install and remove any other HDD/SSD you rule out conflicts that might happen with previous installed software/games.

The main purpose is to see if your system with a fresh clean install of OS, the GPU drivers installed and a demanding game that you previously had problems with, runs fine or with issues. If it runs fine then it's software related.

Loffah

Reputable
Sep 16, 2019
I sent my 1080 TI back to the place i bought it from because it had been malfunctioning over the past 2 years and today i got a mail about them sending me a ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER DUAL EVO OC which obviously is great news.
I do kinda want to upgrade to something like an ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 Ti ROG Strix OC tho. What do you think? I would have to throw in another 661$ (norwegian prices are a bit higher)