[SOLVED] GPU fails to "run"

Overlord_

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
Alright, so here's the sitch. Bought this Asus GeForce GTX 1070Ti about 8 months ago. Started out fine, sat well and no errors at all. Now, very recently, it has been acting up in weird ways.

Driver updates suddenly upsets it, can't do anything newer now without either being forced to reset my PC due to a constantly black, unresponsive screen halfway into the update (doesn't recover, I wait 5-10 minutes for it to get it together) or having to outright reload to a past restoration point where my current driver was before, because I can't boot the thing up with the new one without, you guessed it, black screen.

Now, even more recently since I figured I don't need to update the damn thing, instead it decides to, more often than not, load up Windows 10, and as soon as I reach what was supposed to be the log-in screen - black. screen. My monitor remains active, recognizing that the card exists and believing it is showing pictures, when this is not the case. So clearly, the card somehow works. Somehow.

But that's the thing. It does work. Sometimes, though it seems rarer and rarer, it boots up JUST fine, no hassle, no glitches, can run games and other things without going crazy. Only that the problem above can suddenly reappear the next time I boot it up again, and it keeps happening.

I don't know how I manage to "fix" the issue when it repeats this process, I just end up prodding the cables a bit, or check if the card's seated in alright. It receives adequate power, no trouble there.

It happened around the time I just recently moved between towns, 3 hour ride in my mom's car as she had to pick it up. Everything inside was attached to the motherboard (Z68X-UD3H-B3, veeryy old and being replaced soon) inside the case during the ride, so, might be it took a hit, I thought. That one would be on me, obviously.

My monitor (1080p benQ, nothing special and also old) might also be the culprit I read somewhere, and despite that being an expensive purchase, I plan on buying for something much newer when I can.

But firstly, I'd like your bids on what the FRICK! is up with my GPU.

Thanks for your patience,

Overlord_

Solution
Given it's age, it could be your motherboard. Look around for any bulging caps. Have you tried using the system with the GPU out, and using just the integrated graphics? Assuming that you are using an i5 or i7, and not an E3 Xeon.

Overlord_

Reputable
Oct 26, 2015
It's a Corsair RMX 750w. Yeah, I have also tried removing and reapplying the connections of pretty much everything but the motherboard, see what it helped. Still nothing. Think I might end up trying for the warranty, as that's still possible.

TRENDING THREADS