[SOLVED] GPU Failure? 2 short post beeps?

Sep 20, 2020
Hi guys,

I turned on my PC one day to finish applying for a job (so nothing intensive), and my pc randomly shut down. I tried to turn it on and I was getting nothing.

At this point in time I only had a 350W PSU so I assumed it had given up on me (it’s been fine for 2 years). Naturally I bought a new 450W PSU off Amazon and installed it.

This time the PC turned on, then immediately reset itself and turned on and off again. All fans except the GPU fans were running fine. No display. It does it’s usual “good beep” it has always done then around 20 secs later it was a single lower POST beep. I looked up this beep and discovered that for ASUS mobos it means a GPU failure.

I thought that maybe even 450W wasn’t enough or the PSU was a dead one, so I ordered a 600W PSU and got the same result.

List I have tried:
Reset CMOS
Change CMOS battery
Using different power outlets/leads
Using different monitors/cables
Individually tested all RAM and slots.
Ensured 24 pin, CPU pins and PCI pins where all in place.
Tried different GPU slot.
Cleaned PC and all ports.

So I’m thinking that maybe the PSU failed and actually damaged the GPU. I’m not sure. Is there anything else I can try? Obviously I really do not have the money to replace the GPU lol.

Specs:
i7 7700
32GB Corsair DDR4 RAM
GTX 1080 8GB
ASUS B250-plus
Western Digital 1TB HDD
2x Kingston 250GB SSD
600W EVGA

Ralston18

Titan
Solution
Sep 20, 2020
Does the motherboard and CPU support integrated graphics (iGPU)?

Appears to do so per the following link:

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/PRIME_B250-PLUS/E12111_PRIME_B250-PLUS_UM_web.pdf

Reference Pages vi. and 1-6

[Verify that I correctly matched the manual to your motherboard.]

Do you have any to test the GTX1080 GPU in another known working computer? Determine if the problem follows the GPU?
Yep that manual is correct, unfortunately i dont have access to another rig.

Ralston18

Titan
Try going into Safe Mode.

If the PC stabilizes then look in the Reliability History and Event Viewer logs for entries that you can match to the various shutdowns.

Error codes and technical details may provide some additional information about what is happening.

TRENDING THREADS