[SOLVED] GPU failure after applying new paste ?

Apr 5, 2021
Hi all i bought a 1080ti FE 2nd hand around 2 years ago the card has been fine no problems @All was getting around 2011MHZ at 1440p not going over 80c but i bought a water block 4 it. When i opened up the card i found someone had been there before & put liquid fluid on the die after trying to remove it with a syringe it looked ok after reboot the green front logo does not light up but that maybe due to i spilt a few drops of cleaning alcohol down there when cleaning the die. anyway the pc starts to boot windows logo then a flicker then black screen then i get a error code on next boot the MB is stuck at code 63 after cleaning the COMs a few times i get the same cycle. If i go to the bios the MB is showing up my GPU 1080ti
Does anyone no if this card can be fixed ??
Also the fan is spinning ok but even if i unplug the power to the GPU from the PSU but still plugged in to MB the fan also is spinning is that normal is it getting the power from PCIe ??

Last edited:
Solution
I doubt it's the alcohol. I've 'bathed' the gpu die in alcohol before while trying to get the old stock paste off around those transistors, or w/e those little rectangular pieces are called, on the substrate around the die.
If the liquid metal happened to touch them though, that card is a goner.

I'd suggest giving the PCB another look.
Any swollen caps, or burn marks?
Does it look like anything got dislodged, or knocked off? This one may be asking too much of you, so I understand you not knowing what to look for.

You get some power from the PCIe enough to spin the fans..

I think your 1080Ti had something unsual since I have one and can't reach those frequencies or that temp. When gaming the max freq I get is 1820 MHz and temp...
Apr 5, 2021
im sorry im talking about liquid metal on the die not the cleaning alcohol my bad wording im thinking if any of that liquid metal what someone put there instead of something like arctic silver 5 has had any contact with the pins or anything eles on the bord

Oct 19, 2020

I think your 1080Ti had something unsual since I have one and can't reach those frequencies or that temp. When gaming the max freq I get is 1820 MHz and temp also goes to 84C and stay there. Seeing some reviews thats how the 1080Ti FE was supposed to work. Did you overclock? Are you using some custom fan curve?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I doubt it's the alcohol. I've 'bathed' the gpu die in alcohol before while trying to get the old stock paste off around those transistors, or w/e those little rectangular pieces are called, on the substrate around the die.
If the liquid metal happened to touch them though, that card is a goner.

I'd suggest giving the PCB another look.
Any swollen caps, or burn marks?
Does it look like anything got dislodged, or knocked off? This one may be asking too much of you, so I understand you not knowing what to look for.

I think your 1080Ti had something unsual since I have one and can't reach those frequencies or that temp. When gaming the max freq I get is 1820 MHz and temp also goes to 84C and stay there. Seeing some reviews thats how the 1080Ti FE was supposed to work. Did you overclock? Are you using some custom fan curve?
You're letting yours get too hot. The default thermal limit is 84C. It can be raised to 90C, but there's really no point in doing that; it's already too hot.
That card can do over 1900mhz easily if cooling is good.

Nvidia's Gpu Boost algorithm, present on GTX 10 and later, is very sensitive; it dials back core frequency for every little thing - and I mean, EVERY. It's like the biggest cockblock to OC'ing on their gpus.
-Every 5C warmer, it throttles back like 15mhz or so. Hitting the thermal throttle limit makes it dial back even harder.
-Hit the power limit.
-Hit the voltage limit. Seldom happens though - it's usually power or thermals getting in the way first.

Solution
Oct 19, 2020
How could I not let it hit 84C?
I doubt repasting would do anything since that's the temperature all the reviews I saw were showing as normal operating temp. Doing a "GTX 1080TI temperature" on Google also returns a normal temp of 84C www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16#:~:text=While%20NVIDIA%20doesn't%20publish,temperature%20than%20NVIDIA's%20other%20cards.
My fan also runs at about 50%. Is it recommended to increase fan speed? The noise is also very high when passing 50% speed. When checking for limits it's almost always Voltage or Temp since I'm not overclocking so max clock is 1820 MHz (or something).