Question GPU failure after power cut off, GPU sparked and smoked

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Hey here, last week my computer lost power very suddenly, which I then realised that my power plug on the walls power point was very loose which very likely caused the problem. I have then fixed it and tried rebooting the computer which did not work, computers fans and leds were lighting up like booting up normally for a half a second and then cutting off all the power suddenly. After this happening for once, I couldn't even see a single led turning on or fans moving for even a milisecond unless I cut off the power totally and plug it back in to have the exact result once again (computer tries booting for around half a second then turns off).

After a day I have realised a very different thing on my motherboard, one of my 4 rams was not perfectly settled in ( even though I used it like that for almost 2 years without a problem, which is very likely not even the problem but just a coincidence ). I have plugged off and on all the rams and then tried turning on the computer which did went very wrong.

I have seen few small sparks coming out of my GPU's top and smoke and a very heavy smell that many of you can imagine. I wasn't ready for this so I was maybe a little late turning off the power, which took me around 3-5 seconds. I was so curious about it so I actually tried booting the computer after plugging everything off and back on once again (which is obviously not a professional approach). And the result was quite similiar but this time the sparks was like blowing out around 5cm away from the GPU. After that happening I couldn't get the computer work at all with the GPU on.

I was already planning to get a new pc except the PSU and the case so I was able to be quite brave with trying it back to back. Wish I could get a video of that to share in here which I was planning to do but couldn't get the computer to work for the 3rd time with the GPU on.

My system specs is; GTX 960 ZOTAC 4gb, i5 4570, MSI Z87-G43 Military edition motherboard with 4x4 GB of ram and the PSU is the one that come out with my Cooler Master MB511 case which's name is as far as I have learned from what is says on it is; MPE-6501-ACABW 650W 80+ White.

Currently I can use my PC without any problem at all after plugging off my GPU totally and using the integrated graphics in the i5 cpu, which tells me that the motherboard or the PSU has no damage but im not sure.

After all that now I have a few questions in my mind to ask, some of them are just because of curiousity, some of them are more important so that I won't damage anything else.

1) Was the problem very likely caused by a short circiut happened after the power cut off which happened because of my power cable being very loose on the wall?

2) Is there any chance that any of my other computer parts including PSU, motherboard or any power cable is damaged?

3) Related to question 2, I bought a new GPU already as I was already planning before. The question is, should I give it a try on that motherboard? Any chance the motherboard can give any damage to my new GPU? I am very impatient to see my new GPU sitting on top of my desk doing nothing while I am using an integrated intel graphics, but of course, can't afford any damage to happen on my new GPU too .

4) Most importantly, any chance that my around 2 years old Cooler Master MPE-6501-ACABW 650W 80+ PSU is damaged? Cause I am not planning to change it at all and use it with my new GPU and the motherboard-cpu-ram combo which is supposed to be delivered in the upcoming days.

5) Is there any chance to repair the damaged GTX960 Zotac GPU?

I can provide even further information with the case. I have never experienced such a problem with any of my older GPU's.

Last edited:
  1. The problem was likely initiated by a short in the wall socket.
  2. A very good chance that other parts were damaged, in particular the graphics card. Other parts, probably not. Possibly the psu.
  3. What is the make/model of your new GPU? As much as you are likely anxious to try it out, I would not. There is a possibility that your psu is damaged and might harm your new gpu.
  4. Cooler master power supplies vary in quality, I am no expert about yours.
I think I would plan on a new quality unit.
Here is a handy chart for sizing one:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler and quieter.
Modern graphics cards can have high power demand spikes that need to be handled.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
5) Repairing an old gpu is not likely to be a good idea.
An equally component replacement would likely cost less.
You could ask Zotac customer support and see what they say.

If you are not yet ready with the parts for your new build, you could go ahead and buy a suitable psu for your current setup and your new graphics card.
My best advice on buying a psu is to look at the warranty. High quality units will have 7 to 10 year warranties. Look at Seasonic Focus and Corsair rm for starters.

Reactions: berbat88

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
  1. The problem was likely initiated by a short in the wall socket.
  2. A very good chance that other parts were damaged, in particular the graphics card. Other parts, probably not. Possibly the psu.
  3. What is the make/model of your new GPU? As much as you are likely anxious to try it out, I would not. There is a possibility that your psu is damaged and might harm your new gpu.
  4. Cooler master power supplies vary in quality, I am no expert about yours.
I think I would plan on a new quality unit.
Here is a handy chart for sizing one:
http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page362.htm
I have no problem overprovisioning a PSU a bit. Say by 20%.
It will allow for a stronger future graphics card upgrade.
It will run cooler and quieter.
Modern graphics cards can have high power demand spikes that need to be handled.
A PSU will only use the wattage demanded of it, regardless of it's max capability.
5) Repairing an old gpu is not likely to be a good idea.
An equally component replacement would likely cost less.
You could ask Zotac customer support and see what they say.

If you are not yet ready with the parts for your new build, you could go ahead and buy a suitable psu for your current setup and your new graphics card.
My best advice on buying a psu is to look at the warranty. High quality units will have 7 to 10 year warranties. Look at Seasonic Focus and Corsair rm for starters.

Thanks for the answer! Being in a position where buying a new PSU is mandatory was my worst case scenario. But the worse of the worst case scenarios is to harm my new GPU and other components. Already bought an i5 12400F CPU and looking for an LGA 1700 socket mobo witha compatible 2x8 3200mhz ram pair. The GPU that i have already bought is an MSI Geforce GTX 1660 Super Ventus Xs Oc 6gb Gddr6 192 Bit.

I have bought this Cooler Master MB511 Case with a 650W 80+ PSU in it as i have mentioned above like 2 years ago thinking of upgrading my other parts in the future already. So, buying a new PSU apart from GPU, CPU, MOBO and RAM's will make me go broke at this point.

I really wonder, what are the chances that my PSU is damaged and can damage my new GTX 1660 super? As i have said, my PSU is quite new and i was planning to use it for a longer time. Is there any ways to test if my PSU is fine or nah without taking too much of a risk? Currently using that PSU but ofc with an integrated graphics without a problem. I am very confused :( .

Your PSU already failed to save one GPU from death. Your actions were not helping, true, but good PSU would save it. The question is not will it work with new components, the question is what you will do when it fails to save your new stuff next time something happens? Are you prepared to take that risk?

The only way for a common user to test a psu is to replace it with a known good unit of sufficient power.
It has been my observation that power supplies included with a case are not very good. I do not know about the quality your particular psu. Do you have a model number for it?

berbat88

Reputable
Apr 30, 2020
Your PSU already failed to save one GPU from death. Your actions were not helping, true, but good PSU would save it. The question is not will it work with new components, the question is what you will do when it fails to save your new stuff next time something happens? Are you prepared to take that risk?

I am not very well prepared for that risk, but i don't think if i can afford an actually good PSU while already having something that shouldn't be very bad and also new. I am still very confused.

The only way for a common user to test a psu is to replace it with a known good unit of sufficient power.
It has been my observation that power supplies included with a case are not very good. I do not know about the quality your particular psu. Do you have a model number for it?

The model number is supposed to be this; MPE-6501-ACABW 650W 80+ White. Or CM mwe 650 230v, and i am not sure if mine is the V2 one or an older version, and also the EU version i think.
Seems like this is the exact one that i got;
Also a screenshot directly taken from the back of my case;
https://scontent.fist13-1.fna.fbcdn...K8qWKLHvF778-NEe5GqBpgRIrDXuNDA7A&oe=62D6A4AD
Not a very clean picture obviously, but this gives what you would need already i guess.
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/power-supplies/mwe-series/mwe-650-white-230v-v2/#image-Item6

That would be Tier B unit if used with 110V, but only low Tier C if used with 230V. So pretty much quality depends on where OP lives.

I do live in Turkey, according to wiki link below, we do use 230V 50Hz.

I really want to hold on with my current PSU at least for a while, I am not very sure how good of a decision is that, but I would still be very appreciated with any recommandetions to be given. Also, anything I can do to ensure the safety of other components while using that PSU.

I really want to hold on with my current PSU at least for a while, I am not very sure how good of a decision is that, but I would still be very appreciated with any recommandetions to be given. Also, anything I can do to ensure the safety of other components while using that PSU.
The problem is, PSU is the part that's supposed to be the safety of PC. You could use UPS to add some extra protection but that costs too, so unless you have one already its still better to spend the money on better PSU. Also, it all comes down to luck. I've been using this class (or worse) PSU for 10 years with no problem. Then there are people who have such tier PSUs work only once (it would not turn on second time!). If nothing happens this unit may run your new stuff just fine. Or one day a power spike hits your home circuit and something will die at your PC.