[SOLVED] GPU failure?

contagioussheep17

Reputable
Mar 4, 2018
Okay, I gave my brother my GTX1060 two years ago, and he says that when he tries to play black ops cold war, his screen will suddenly go black, GPU fans will max out and he'll have to reset the PC. NOTE; he can still hear voices through his discord call when this happens . He's monitered his temps and they're around 60c. All his drivers are up-to-date. What else could cause this? GPU's still warrantied so worst case it'll get swapped.

i5 9600K

Asus Strix GTX1060.

Solution
I doubt the GPU is fried, it looks more like a hard driver crash that won't reset properly.
Try purging all video card drivers using guru3d's DDU, downloading the latest driver manually and installing this. After that you can try to reinstall Windows (or at the very least run a system files scan (using DISM) and if there still are black screens, check for BIOS upgrades.
Then, RMA.
I doubt the GPU is fried, it looks more like a hard driver crash that won't reset properly.
Try purging all video card drivers using guru3d's DDU, downloading the latest driver manually and installing this. After that you can try to reinstall Windows (or at the very least run a system files scan (using DISM) and if there still are black screens, check for BIOS upgrades.
Then, RMA.

Solution