Question GPU fan 4-pin header is loose ?

May 9, 2021
I accidentally unplugged the fan header and now it keeps coming off. It works fine if I press my finger against it.
Also, are the pins supposed to be the same height because mine aren't. Please help

Ralston18

Titan
The pins should be the same height.

With the computer off and unplugged - can you wiggle or otherwise move the pins?

Do you see any cracks around the pins? Or elsewhere?

Make and model information?

Are you able to take a couple of photographs and post via imgur (www.imgur.com)?

May 9, 2021
The pins should be the same height.

With the computer off and unplugged - can you wiggle or otherwise move the pins?

Do you see any cracks around the pins? Or elsewhere?

Make and model information?

Are you able to take a couple of photographs and post via imgur (www.imgur.com)?
It's an rx570 his iceq x2.
The pins doesn't move. I think they must've broken off but I didn't notice. I can find new fans locally but can I fix it?
View: http://imgur.com/a/Vw6qUWe

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
I would not expect to see broken off pins as that likely would have involved a great deal of force.

However, use a magnifying glass to take a close look - could have been a defective pin(s) - especially if the pins do not move and are different heights.

Or the entire assembly was not made correctly.

What about the wires going into the header - do they "slip" in and out a bit?

Be careful checking. The wire could come completely out.

Were/are you installing a replacement fan?

For example:

Replacement fan example

May 9, 2021
I would not expect to see broken off pins as that likely would have involved a great deal of force.

However, use a magnifying glass to take a close look - could have been a defective pin(s) - especially if the pins do not move and are different heights.

Or the entire assembly was not made correctly.

What about the wires going into the header - do they "slip" in and out a bit?

Be careful checking. The wire could come completely out.

Were/are you installing a replacement fan?

For example:

Replacement fan example

I've unplugged it before but I don't remember if they had different heights or not. The wires don't slip either.
Maybe it was damaged while I was moving it at the back of the truck? But the header were still intact and I accidentally unplugged it and left it overnight.

Ralston18

Titan
The pins should all be the same height.

If the pins are not the same height and (as it appears) there were also circumstances where physical damage could have occurred then very likely that there is damage that cannot be seen.

Could be that the plug was defective to begin with (different pin lengths or other issues) but just got jammed in when first connected.

Normal unplugging could have been problematic and a hard, accidental unplugging broke something.

The "now" being that the plug is loose, not fully connecting. May or may not be fixable.

You could try a short extension cable to secure the problem plug to an interim female port in hopes that the plug would be splinted and more secure. Then plug the other end of the extension cable in as normal.

Ensure that you get the correct extension cable with respect to pins and pin mapping.

Reactions: Mezvod