[SOLVED] GPU fan acting strange XFX RX 5700

flavenoid

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
A few weeks ago, one of the fans on my graphics card started making a loud ticking noise. Here's a link to a video showing what is happening:
View: https://youtu.be/mtlPZPWCmhU
. As seen in the video, the fan seems to make the noise when slowing down.

The video was recorded while in the main menu of Overwatch after playing several games. There is also a variation of that behavior in which the fan never stops spinning and a ticking noise occurs over and over. I'm not sure if the starting and stopping of one fan is normal for this card either since I have only observed it once the noise started. Since this problem started, I have occasionally noticed lagging and big drops in fps while playing Overwatch.

I have been using this GPU for crypto mining almost continuously except for when gaming, so it has been running almost non-stop since January of this year. I’m assuming that such heavy usage is what led to this issue. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card on the motherboard and reinstalling the latest drivers, but it didn’t help. Any ideas on what the problem is, and what I can do to fix it, would be greatly appreciated.

My rig:

Mobo: MSI Z87-G43 Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (not overclocked)
GPU: XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700
RAM: Patriot Viper DDR3, 16GB (1866MHz)
SSD: 250GB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair CX750
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Monitor: AOC CQ27G1, Model No. 27G1

Last edited:
Solution
Bearings in the fan are about toast. Could have been wear and tear, but doubtful on that or both fans would be in roughly the same shape. Could have been just one of those 'made on Friday at 4:59' pm fans, that passed QC but doesn't do anything for longetivity. Also could be dirty.

Doesn't take much for detritus to fall off, leaves one of the blades lighter than the rest, which changes the balance of the fan and you get premature bearing wear out of round. Then you clean the fan, and it's got loose bearings. Dirt can also get into the bearings, which then gums up the bearings increasing friction, which burns up the motor prematurely. That'll result in high temps/shutdowns/blackscreens etc depending on what's not getting sufficient...

flavenoid

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
A few weeks ago, one of the fans on my graphics card started making a loud ticking noise. Here's a link to a video showing what is happening:
View: https://youtu.be/mtlPZPWCmhU
. As seen in the video, the fan seems to make the noise when slowing down.

The video was recorded while in the main menu of Overwatch after playing several games. There is also a variation of that behavior in which the fan never stops spinning and a ticking noise occurs over and over. I'm not sure if the starting and stopping of one fan is normal for this card either since I have only observed it once the noise started. Since this problem started, I have occasionally noticed lagging and big drops in fps while playing Overwatch.

I have been using this GPU for crypto mining almost continuously except for when gaming, so it has been running almost non-stop since January of this year. I’m assuming that such heavy usage is what led to this issue. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the card on the motherboard and reinstalling the latest drivers, but it didn’t help. Any ideas on what the problem is, and what I can do to fix it, would be greatly appreciated.

My rig:

Motherboard: MSI Z87-G43 Gaming
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K (not overclocked)
GPU: XFX - AMD Radeon RX 5700
RAM: Patriot Viper DDR3, 16GB (running at 1866 MHz)
SSD: 250 GB Samsung 840 EVO
PSU: Corsair CX750
Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Monitor: AOC CQ27G1, Model No. 27G1

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Bearings in the fan are about toast. Could have been wear and tear, but doubtful on that or both fans would be in roughly the same shape. Could have been just one of those 'made on Friday at 4:59' pm fans, that passed QC but doesn't do anything for longetivity. Also could be dirty.

Doesn't take much for detritus to fall off, leaves one of the blades lighter than the rest, which changes the balance of the fan and you get premature bearing wear out of round. Then you clean the fan, and it's got loose bearings. Dirt can also get into the bearings, which then gums up the bearings increasing friction, which burns up the motor prematurely. That'll result in high temps/shutdowns/blackscreens etc depending on what's not getting sufficient airflow.

Hard to say exact cause, easy to determine results, fan is toast.

Solution

flavenoid

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2014
Thank you for your reply, Karadjgne. I'm glad to hear that it's just the fan that is failing. Since my fan is toast, do you think I should look for a replacement fan? I have seen videos where people lubricate the fan by adding a drop of oil to the bearings. I might give that a try.