Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Not sure if this belongs in graphics cards or cooling since it involves both so I'll give here a shot first.

My fan on my galaxy gt430 always seemed to be running way too high so I looked into how to slow it down. I read up and found out that since it's a 2 pin fan I can't control it manually and would need to flash the bios to change the setting.

I followed some directions I found, dropped the minimum fan speed down and everything was looking great but once I started up after flashing the new Bios I noticed that the fan's speed didn't seem to change.

I looked up how to more directly check the fan speed and brought up the nvsmi utility and saw that the fan hasn't just been running at a loud minimum speed but has been running at 90%, the max setting.

To double check I flashed a new bios with the max speed dropped down to 80% and again the nvsmi reported it running at the new max speed.

Is there any reason the fan would always be running at the max speed like this? Or any means of fixing it? Nvsmi is giving me a gpu temperature of 32c and this is running nothing but my browser so it's not like the thing is overheating and needs the max speed.

Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

I've checked the gpu temperature with multiple programs and it's been between 29-32c the whole time. Unless I've been reading the wrong information idle temperatures should be in the upper 30's and into the 40's or higher. So it wouldn't seem like theres any actual heat problems going on.

Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012

Does MSI afterburner override the bios settings?

Unless I've been getting bad information what i've read is that unless you have a fan with enough pins only means of changing the speed is through the bios since the fan lacks direct rpm monitoring and control that fan speed programs seem to rely on. My fan only has two pins so it should only be adjustable going through the bios.

I did try that program though and even when I dropped the speed as low as it could go and the nvsmi even gave the reduced speed but the fan remained constant.

I've tried reading up more on this and there seem to be two similar situations.

One person with a similar problem got a reply saying some fans are made to go a certain speed and nothing else, that seemed a bit off so I don't know.

Another person suggested the program could be software/driver related but I'm not sure how plausible that is or how to fix it.

Farscape1_14

Honorable
Dec 3, 2012
Is the information I have on even being able to control fan speed of a two pin fan through the bios even correct?

I had read that the bios option was the only means of changing things when you don't have a 3-4 pin fan since 2 pin fans lack the ability to monitor and change their rpm.

Now I've seen some people say that you can't change the speed of a 2 pin fan at all without playing with the voltage directly so I'm confused.